Getting Started

Vyceroy

SSSSSSSSSSSSSteam
Well I have taken the plunge back into Model Railroading .. just delivered today 1 GP-8 and soon to be delivered 90 feet of flex track and a GP-38 both engines are N&W .. the GP-38 is a gift for my cousin (Engineer for Norfolk & Southern)

Space ..
i have almost the entire basement but dont want to use all of it.. so lets just say 30 feet along one wall and 20 feet across..
its alot of room and i know i dont need it all.. im thinking freelance and calling it the Virginia & NorthWestern .. running similar routes as the Virginian , RFP .. Norfolk & Western all of whom will have track rights :D ..

Time.. Late 40s-early 50s

This is a big step back into a hobby i have been absent from for 12 or so years.. bare with me and i should hopefully be able to share pics and updates ..

Any info .. Pics (Trackside pics/ scenery) and picks of equipment and just opinions will all be appreciated .. Stay Tuned .. Thanks Ron

I have a thread in Wanted forum check it out ..

Hi Ron. I returned to MR a couple of years ago from a go at it in the late 60's early 70's. Many model the 40's/50's era so there is plenty of us to give you a hand if you need it. I will enjoy following your progress.

Thanks Rex .. BTW just pulled the N&W Loco out of the box .. i dont know why i thought it was a GP-8 .. its a GP-18 .. which doesnt fall into my era of modeling .. i will figure something out ..

Vyceroy, sorry, dont have much on the roads you are asking about.:( but if you are going to run Virginian diesels, i know they had 25 FM units from 1954-59. ANY questions on numbers or dates or exactly what FM units they had, i would be MORE then happy to answer.:D sorry, thats the best i can do that might help for now.:) -Dean

i know this isn't my thread, but i have to thank you, Rex, for the link to the diesel shop!;) that is an AWESOME website! all the checking my books and records of FM sales can now be done at the touch of my keyboard.:D though for second owners info i will still have to check my records, but sure makes first owner info TONS faster!:D also, i am a BIG Alco fan, but have NO records of Alcos. thanks to this link, i have all the info i need to properly Alco-up my UP, CNW and Milwaukee road fleets.:eek::D THANKS Rex!:D -Dean (*EDIT* after extensive checking of FM models and roads, this site has left out some. i am guessing this might be true with other manufacturers,Alco,etc. but still a GREAT site.)-AND NOW, BACK TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM-;):D:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great links REX ..

My flex track arrived today .. 108 feet to start .. that should keep me busy for a while .. next is some switches and planning this beast ..i am thinking a double main with 2 staging yards and a smaller yard somewhere inbetween ..

Designing is not my best thing ( i like scenery) so this should be interesting ..

You MAY have already seen this, but in case you didn't...

Vyceroy said:
... im thinking freelance and calling it the Virginia & NorthWestern .. running similar routes as the Virginian , RFP .. Norfolk & Western all of whom will have track rights :D ..Time.. Late 40s-early 50s
Ron, if you like the N&W you really ought to check out Jim Brewer's Shenandoah Division. It's a 90ft by 30ft HO layout set in July 1956, a lot of the scenes were inspired by Winston Link photographs.

after extensive checking of FM models and roads, this site has left out some. i am guessing this might be true with other manufacturers,Alco,etc. but still a GREAT site

Dean, the Diesel Shop is put together by an individual and he encourages people to submit additions/corrections. So, if you see something missing, send him an email using the link on the first page. I am sure he would appreciate it.

Thanks for the Link Ken .. i had forgotten about Jims layout .. hadnt seen it in a long time .. Ron

Got a date for the picture 1943 is the year .. this really presents a problem in deciding on a year to model .. i have photos of Roanoke from the 30s into the early 60s .. so i have a good selection of reference material .. I never thought it would be this hard to decide .. what ever year i decide is going to take alot of scratch building..

Back