Getting Feeders Through Pink Foam And Plywood?

Exit109GTI

When giving each section of track a feeder, how are you guys getting the wiring through the pink foam and plywood? I was thinking about just drilling a hole clear through and using a wire coat hanger to get the feeders to the other side.

That is one way. I actually use straws after I drill the hole. This gives a clear channel to the underside of the layout and if you use a staraw that bends you can prevent the wire from slipping through

The way we did it on a previous club layout was to drill a hole through the plywood and then force a brass tube through the foam. You then pass the wire through from the top or bottom and remove the brass tube to use for the next hole.

David

Just go buy a long drill bit. They come in very, very long lengths, I've seen them at nearly 12" long (twist drills).

you only need one diameter so it's not a big investment.

There is still the problem of getting the wire through the foam without it catching. Even if you buy a very long drill bit, you still might want to try using a brass tube or straw to help in passing the wire through. Getting small wires through foam always seems to catch.

David

The best bet is a wiring drill bit. It's a long drill bit with a hole in shaft. Drill the hole but let the bit stay in it. Thread the wire through the hole, pull drill bit up through.

I started drilling the holes last night for the feeder wires, and they fit right through without catching, but thanks for all the advice everyone.

Although I don't use foam or very little of it under the trackage I have no problem with the cork roadbed which is cut from cork sheathing. I use 3/4" plywood and the feeders are solid wire (not stranded) and when straightened I have no problem with snagging when passed through a 2mm drilled hole. A #22 single strand wire should stay straight in a hole that size. The ballast fills in around the wire.
Cheers!! Willis

Back