G'day from Adelaide

Pom in Oz

Hey all, thought it was time to sign up and say hi, have been interested in model rail roads for around 18 months now but with a young family and migrating half way around the world i haven't been able to get my teeth into this great hobby.

I've been into military modelling for most of my adult life but as my girlfriend pointed out once they are built they just sat in the shed gathering dust so i thought i'd try something different and stumbled across this site and was blown away by the quality of modelling shown on these pages.

I have got to say i know nothing about trains or railroads but am willing to learn.

Thats all for now, once i work out how to post some photos i'll show you what i've been up to.

Darren

Hey all, thought it was time to sign up and say hi, have been interested in model rail roads for around 18 months now but with a young family and migrating half way around the world i haven't been able to get my teeth into this great hobby.

I've been into military modelling for most of my adult life but as my girlfriend pointed out once they are built they just sat in the shed gathering dust so i thought i'd try something different and stumbled across this site and was blown away by the quality of modelling shown on these pages.

I have got to say i know nothing about trains or railroads but am willing to learn.

Thats all for now, once i work out how to post some photos i'll show you what i've been up to.

Darren

G'day Darren,
You've done the right thing, joining up on here, I also found this site not so long ago after looking around, is the best.

What are you thinking of modelling, UK, Euro, US or Oz prototype, 'cause we're all on here (although US would be the most favoured of course). Ask away if you've got questions (which you will have), noobs get treated with respect here.

To post pictures I find it best to use an online photohosting site (I use Photobucket.com, it's easy to use) to store your photos on and then you can copy and paste the links to here.

Ray

Welcome Darren :) I started in models too as a kid, but it was cars for me. It's a pretty easy transition to make really. Your girlfriend is going to wish she kept her mouth shut once you start disappearing into the mancave for hours at a time. :D

Thanks for the welcome, i think that was her master plan to get me out from under her feet in the evenings.

Ray, i have started collecting US locos and rolling stock and thats how i found this site, i started collecting back when i was in England and started picking up a few second hand bits and pieces but i think the bugs got me and i can't wait for payday to get that next little morsel.

Thanks for the tip about photobucket, i'll look into it.

Cheers

Darren

Yes, US trains would be the reason most of the "Foriegn Contingent" are on here, can't beat the US for for BIG trains in all senses of the word. And variety. What scale are you most interested in?

Hey Ray, i've been collecting HO, i'm not sure i could handle N scale especially coming from 1/35 scale.
Looking forward to the scenics side of the hobby with the trains taking a bit of a back seat, my work takes me close to the port in Adelaide and i want to try to recreate the feel of a small port with warehousing, container stacks and lots and lots of concrete thats had a hard working life.
Have you got a layout on here i can look at?

Cheers

Darren

No layout yet unfortunately,(unless you count the 5 lengths of flextrack for testing)but I do run trains on a club layout which if you find one locally, is a good idea to join for the fellowship and help they can give you. Have a look at this layout, I think you'll be blown away. http://magnoliaroute.com/magnolia_route_001.htm but make sure you've got lots of spare time, 'cause it's a "tour'e de force" of visual pleasure and wonderment at the skill and imagination.

Hey Ray, i've been collecting HO, i'm not sure i could handle N scale especially coming from 1/35 scale.
Looking forward to the scenics side of the hobby with the trains taking a bit of a back seat, my work takes me close to the port in Adelaide and i want to try to recreate the feel of a small port with warehousing, container stacks and lots and lots of concrete thats had a hard working life.
Have you got a layout on here i can look at?

Cheers

Darren

Welcome aboard Darren. I hope you fine the advice and encouragement you need here. There are a few very knowledgable people on the layout design section so don't hesitate to post a thread on your layout designs and see what advice you can get.

US harbour railroads are also an interest of mine. Let me offer a few links:

http://www.bronx-terminal.com/

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html

There is only one harbour terminal railraod still operating in NY, as far as I know, the NY &NJ:

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nynjr.html

Cheers from Java (I'm on holiday)

Hey Paul and Ray, thanks for the great sites, will grab a cold one out of the fridge and settle down to an evening of reading.
Have taken some photos of where i'm at but having a quick look at these sites i may be doing some major rebuilding.

Cheers Darren

Hey Paul and Ray, thanks for the great sites, will grab a cold one out of the fridge and settle down to an evening of reading.
Have taken some photos of where i'm at but having a quick look at these sites i may be doing some major rebuilding.

Cheers Darren

Seeing you're into waterfront wharves, make sure you check out the Napolean St wharf.

No problems Darren.

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to clutter your thread with some pics from Java. The first two are at Malang and the last one is at Jogjakarta.

Looks like passenger traffic is still doing OK there.

I don't know if this is typical of all grade (level) crossings in the US, but whenever they're modeled it seems that they always have timber on each side and between the tracks. Most everyone else just runs the tarseal through. Interestingly though, in that last Javanese pic they put guard rails alongside. Here in Queensland the wheel flanges just make their own groove through the seal.

Looks like passenger traffic is still doing OK there.

I don't know if this is typical of all grade (level) crossings in the US, but whenever they're modeled it seems that they always have timber on each side and between the tracks. Most everyone else just runs the tarseal through. Interestingly though, in that last Javanese pic they put guard rails alongside. Here in Queensland the wheel flanges just make their own groove through the seal.

There is so much passenger traffic on Java's rail system (Pt KA) that there is little room left for frieght trains. Thought the gauge is 3'6", the Indonesians like to run their trains at high speeds. That is the opposite of the situation in Austalia where frieght trains are most common and run at low speeds (due to adhering to safty rules and track needing work).

Sorry to hyjack your thread, Darren. :D

No worries, good to learn something, i've noticed here in Adelaide they have guard rails at crossings, i don't know if this common across the whole of Adelaide as i only travel up and down the west coast for my job.

Time to get another cold one out and carry on reading those site links you sent

Cheers Darren

Welcome

Hi Darren,You are not alone in Adelaide.I model in British oo and S.A.R./Europe and U.S.A. garden railway size trains.I won third prize in last weeks Royal Adelaide Show with two garden railway models.

Hey a4gresley, great news on the third prize, didn't get a chance to get to the show because work got in the way as usual. Have you any photos of the models you built?
Was lucky enough to be here when the model railway show was on at the june long weekend, i think seeing all those layouts got me wanting to build something even more, did you get a chance to go?

Cheers Darren

Hi Darren,Yes i was at the rail show in june with a working layout.The Adelaide Garden Railway Group has been there every year with trains that you can run in the garden,with scratch built and kit bashed models, Regards Allan.

Back