Gallows / A-Frame Turntables

beiland

I have had a long term interest in these style turntables, particularly when I wish to place one in my logging scene.

Of course a great number of these style turntables were utilized simplistic, small engine, rural locations, and were constructed of lumber most often. I intend to make use of one of this type.

But in my research of these types over the past several years I ran across this much heavier steel design. I've always been an admirer of its design and looks,..

https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/scratchbuilding-a-turntable-ho-scale-12187292?pid=1331206323Brass Turntable

Mon, 2015-02-09 08:06 — Montanan
I can't take credit for the build, but this turntable will give you an idea of how resourceful model railroaders can be.
This turntable was scratch built from Brass by the late Pete Ellis of Cascade, MT. I am guessing that it is probably about 40 or more years old. It was donated to me when Pete had to rip out a town to expand his railroad and this was in the way. It is powered by of all things, a motor from an old player piano. It is really amazing how our old time modelers got around not havign kits or the resources we now have in the hobby.
I sure feel fortunate to have this gem.
-800x451.jpg

A couple of days ago I was looking thru some items I had saved for eventually constructing my own gallows. I ran across this item that I believe could be kitbashed into one of these 'heavy duty' gallows types.

I'm wondering what its history is??

DSCF8052.jpg DSCF8055.jpg DSCF8057.jpg

You may be interested in this turntable it is in Taylors Falls, Minnesota. Other locations this locomotive frequented with this type of turntable were located in Stillwater MN and Grantsburg WI. This loco was in local service from about 1910 until 1950's, credits on bottom of photo.

Looks like the same config as above

NP 328- turntable 1948.PNG

Dave LASM

...just found that reply on another subject thread,..

Hi Brian,
I believe that is a Heljan turntable. I had that kit back in the day when I had fewer tools and much less skill. I botched the assembly pretty badly and the turntable never worked properly. The biggest problem was those plastic wheels supporting the turntable ends. They were never round, and simply did not roll. The idea was that the bearings at the center would properly rotate the table, but the torque on the ends from a heavy locomotive made that difficult. And I think I got glue in the bearings too! What a nightmare!
I hope you have better luck with yours. It looks like the builder did a better job of assembly.

Michael - Superintendent and Chief Engineer

to which I replied,..
THANKS Michael,...for that ID, and your explanation. I'll have to take a closer look at those problems you bring up.
I actually don't think I will be using this one , as I want and have found a good older fashion wood gallows one. But I don't imagine it would be that difficult to re-engineer those outer 'wheels/bearings'??

Back