G Track opinions

Ballhog24

Woody
Ok, I've done some research for getting track prices, and came up with what I've garnered are two of the more popular brands. Here is what I've come up with at one online site.

LGB brass track, getting the rails and ties separately so I can make my own lengths, plus corner tracks, joiners, comes to approximately $330.00.

Aristo Craft brass track, getting probably more track than I need, already assembled straight tracks in 60" sections and 24" sections, corners, joiners, plus some screw in joiners to try out, comes to approximately $290.00.

So I need some opinions....obviously just looking at it the Aristo Craft seems like a better deal...I won't have to build any of the track, and I can purchase a little "more" track than with the LGB....so help me out here.

Anyone had any bad experiences with Aristo Craft track?
Or is LGB just that much more?

I have a mix of both on my layout, and they both work just fine. One doesnt get dirty faster then the other or anything.

I'd say go ahead and get the Aristo, LGB is mainly just proud of what they make... :p

Plus, you'll probably get tired of assembling, and more so bending all that LGB rail for the curves. Trust me, I've been there...

I do like the screws on the Aristo track BTW, I think it improves the conductivity off the joints, and helps to "lock" the track together (over time, the joints can work loose after some time of running trains over it).

Thanks Chris,

Shipping is going to be a big thing...I'm going to call a few local hobby shops and see if any of them can order the track for me, and see if the price will be close to what I can get it for online.

If you can get in good with a local shop, many times they will cut you a discount, may only be about 20% but that's still good, plus if they are a decent shop, they will get want you want pretty quick, not sure what the $ cut-off is but I think if they buy $500.00 worth of stuff from Walthers, they get free shipping. With that much track, I would bet the weight will drive up they shipping cost if you internet or mail order. Plus I have always been a strong supporter of my local hobby shop. I don't want to see them go away, I buy all my engines, rolling stock and nick-nacks from them. I am willing to pay a couple of $$ more for the service and satisfaction knowing I am keeping that profit (if they even make that) local and not to some place that won't support my local economy.

I've had a hard time with dealers in the area...but I do have one shop that is going to call their supplier and see what the cost will be to get it sent to their shop.

I agree in helping the local hobby shops, but honestly, we don't have too many shops in this area that deal in large scale stuff...so almost everything would be special ordering.

The shop I deal with is more HO and G scale, and has little N scale stuff. But is always willing to order and give me a discount. I guess if they don't want to accomodate you, then buying from other sources serves them right.

Good luck, hope you post progress of the railroad.

dthurman said:
Good luck, hope you post progress of the railroad.

Guaranteed. The Mrs. told me last night that she's worried I won't have the layout running by the time we turn the Christmas display on. She said that my desire to "want to do this or that better" might get in my way...lol.

Dont know how you local dealer may be setup Ballhog, but the shop I worked at had a direct account with LGB of America and the minimum order was $1000, with similar minumus fro USA Trains and IIRC Aristo. But the latter two we went through a distributor, so there really were no minimum's for ordering.

Back