G-Scale Questions? Ask Them Here

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
Do you have questions about G-Scale and Garden Railroading?
What would you like to know?
We're putting together a Garden Railroad FAQ, and invite your input.

Here's a sample of some questions we'll discuss:

What IS G Scale?
Why are there so many different sizes within G Scale?
What is #1 Scale?
What size track do I need to run G Scale trains?

Who manufactures
Trains
Track and related accessories
Buildings
Other vehicles
Scenic details - people, animals, etc?

How do I plan a layout?
What's the minimum amount of space I need to run G Scale equpment?

How do I lay track?
How do I power my train?
Who sells G Scale equpment other than the manufacturers?
How do I landscape my outdoor railway?
G-Scale indoors: Decorating and accessories

The FAQ draft will "stick" to the top of the G Scale and Garden Railways topic and will be organized and updated as questions are received and answered.

Please use this thread to post YOUR questions, suggestions and comments.

Differences in G track

With so many suppliers of G scale track, are they all compatible to one another?

Would Aristo Craft track hook up decently with LGB?

What is the difference in track that has "Euro-ties"?

Who make the best diesels? Is there a best buy as far as quality vs price?

The best track?

What's the best train control system? G locos are battery powered/radio controlled, correct? Is that only for outdoor use?

Why the difference in scales?

Who's the best G scale supplier online?

How much space is required for the average sized layout?

Do all the trains have to come in each night?

Sorry for the basic nature of the questions, I'm a TOTAL G scale newbie. :eek:

Ballhog24 said:
With so many suppliers of G scale track, are they all compatible to one another?

Would Aristo Craft track hook up decently with LGB?

Straight out of the box, no. BUT...if you pull the Aristo Craft rail joiners off and use some LGB railjoiners in thier place, you can connect the Aristo/USA track to LGB. Incidently, Aristo and USA Trains track are virtually idenitical. This works for most all code 332 rail, using the LGB joiners.

Another option of joining diffrent Mfg. track is the clamp/spilt-jaw type of joiners. Albeit, more expensive then traditional joiners, they are rather tough and make a very solid joint, as well as significantly improve electrical conductivity of the joint. Here's the two types that I like...

Split Jaw Rail Clamps Hillman's Rail Clamps

What is the difference in track that has "Euro-ties"?

The "American" ties are molded with tie plates and spikes heads to hold the rail in place. Whereas the "European" ties a a tie plate and a molding that resembles a bolt and clip which is what is used to hold the ties in place.

I'll go see where my camera is at, and try to post some pics of the diffrent types so you can see what the diffrence is.

Realisticly, if you really look, you'll see the diffrence, but to the untrained eye it's not really anything thats going to be obvious. My layout is a mix of the two, and no ones ever commented on it... ;)

BTW: feel free to move this Lady Railfan, wasn'y certain if you wanted this here or not. When I get back, I'll give Grande Man some answears...

Last edited by a moderator:
In your FAQ section, I think there's a small (.018 inch) error. The size of LGB, USA, and Aristocraft brass, stainless, and some aluminum rail is .332.

There's also code 250 in aluminum (I use it) but also stainless, I'm pretty sure.

i model HO but have recently aquired what apperas to be a G scale set in a game of chance. I have the track and power pack (trainpower 6200)... there are no trains and so I have 3 very fundamental questions:

-what is the scale of the 45mm gauge tracks?
-how do i tell if these tracks are weather resistant?
-what is the best online source for this scale?

I had planned on setting up a G scale x-mas layout in the living room (nothin fancy) this year and my inspiration has been put in motion by the aqusition of this track and power pack. between holidays i may be inclined to begin a small garden road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a amount of power requirement to how much track you use re: 1 transformer ?

The reason I ask is we have approx 200 ft of track and we are running a LGB 23570/23572 UP F-7 A-B-A Diesel Locomotive and my husband has to put it to full power the transformer is 0-20

and I am just not sure if its enough all the track is very tight and only one area has a slight grade and we are only pulling maybe 10 light box cars.

Are all track compatiable? I have LGB brass track?

I have been looking around oline and I thought it would be easier to ask here . I have G scale trains.

What kind of transformer do you have? Are all three engines powered? If so, and you are using the transformer that came with a set, you are probably maxing out the amount of amps the transformer can put out. There are probably two issues here. The first is transformer size compared to the amount of amps the engines draw. The second is how much voltage drop you have if you only have one connection to the track. If you or your husband have a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the track connection and at the furthest point away for the track connection. if see a voltage drop, you'll need to run some extra feeder wires from the transformer and solder them to the side of the each rail.

Most track is not compatible with LGB track out of the box. You can pull the joiners out of other brands, like Aristo-Craft and Bachmann, replace them LGB joiners, and the tracks will mate. Another thing to be aware of is that brass track will oxidize very quickly in some climates so a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol and an abrasive track cleaner like a Brite-Boy will be needed on a regular basis.

yes they are all powered and the name of the transformer is control master 20

as far as how many amp's the motors draw I do Have the info for these motors I will check the paperwork and see what that says and check the voltage and get back to you.

I do clean all the track before we run them so that will not be an issue. :confused:

Also any opinions on split jaw connectors?

Split jaw connectors work fine but you're looking at about $2 a joint for brass and $3 for stainless steel. I don't know how big a layout you have but that can add up pretty quick. Assuming you know how to solder, you can get the same effect with normal rail pins and soldering jumpers between each joint for a lot less money. Is you layout inside or outside? The split jaw type connectors provide very little room for rail expansion so that would be an issue for me on an outside layout.

The layout is out doors and this year we did just a quick set up (for mom) we we didn't have time to toy around with extra details we have in mind so it's a basic oblong layout

I looked on line to see what the pins are and soldering would'nt be a problem but is there somewhere on this site that diagrams what to do?

The layout is out doors and this year we did just a quick set up (for mom) we we didn't have time to toy around with extra details we have in mind so it's a basic oblong layout
Hi Ims659, and welcome to the ModelRailroadForums. Lady Railfan who started this thread some time ago, has her layout outside in the garden. She is a Moderator on this forum so you can send her a Private Message (PM) and ask about her set up. As I recall she had a battery installed in the Loco has and it is radio controlled, so track cleaning and wiring doesn't exist on her garden layout. I have no idea of what the cost was (RC Control & receiver with the battery installed).
Runs around just like the real ones do :D

Cheers
Willis

Hi Ims659, and welcome to the ModelRailroadForums. Lady Railfan who started this thread some time ago, has her layout outside in the garden. She is a Moderator on this forum so you can send her a Private Message (PM) and ask about her set up. As I recall she had a battery installed in the Loco has and it is radio controlled, so track cleaning and wiring doesn't exist on her garden layout. I have no idea of what the cost was (RC Control & receiver with the battery installed).

Runs around just like the real ones do :D

Cheers
Willis

I guess I did'nt say that right the diagram I was refering to was how to solder the pins and jumpers

Does anyone know if the model train above is supposed to make horn sound when it passes over the contact on the track ...there are two and I was looking at the instructions and it mentions the train can be equiped with mts decoder using the interface cable OMG! I am lost

You don't have to solder the pins. It's actually not a good idea since it limits track expansion and contraction. The jumper is just 22 gauge wire that soldered to the side of the rail before the koint and then soldered to the side of the rail on the other side of the joint. This is just to assure that you have a good electrical conection at the joints.

The LGB MTS decoder can be found at http://onlytrains.com/model/trains/55040.html. You can just plug it in to the existing PC board and it will make sounds like the horn and bell. However, you have to switch to LGB's digital command system and that involves a substantial amount of money. You may want to contact the folks at OnlyTrains as they are G scale experts.

I went to visit a local garden railroad a few months ago. I could not believe how detailed it was. I will dig out some pics and send them in. He even made a creek to run through it so he could put trestles across it. We have some G scale things on our site, but I did not know it was so popular.

Will this forum be dealing with outdoor O Gauge Garden trains, or should I post about that over in the O Gauge forum?

Back