G Scale FAQ???

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Anyone care to post a G scale FAQ? With the recent magazine exposure G has gotten, interest is bound to have picked up nationwide. It's a scale I'd love to learn more about. My interest in it is building but I don't know where to start. A FAQ would be a huge help!

Yeah, the first thing the G scale FAQ could do is explain G scale and #1 scale and 1:22 and all the variations in size and scale that run on G scale track.

modelbob said:
Yeah, the first thing the G scale FAQ could do is explain G scale and #1 scale and 1:22 and all the variations in size and scale that run on G scale track.

Yep, that's what I'm talkin about. How about a run down of manufactureres (who makes the good stuff), control systems, track options, etc?

LRF, is this something you'd care to tackle? Not to put you on the spot or anything... :D You are our large scale guru.

When we finally move, I have plans on building a G scale layout in the back yard. That way I can have the microscope layout inside, and the move the garbage to the curb layout outside.

Seriously though, I too would like to know more. After seeing Marty from the MR forums, I was sold.

grande man said:
Yep, that's what I'm talkin about. How about a run down of manufactureres (who makes the good stuff), control systems, track options, etc?

LRF, is this something you'd care to tackle? Not to put you on the spot or anything... :D You are our large scale guru.
Aaaaaaaaack!

Y'know, there's a publisher, Kalmbach I think their name is, that puts out some pretty good books on the subject. ;)

I probably could put together some sort of "reading list" though. Please let me think about that a bit, and I'll let you guys know if I think I can handle it.

Lady_Railfan said:
Aaaaaaaaack!

Please let me think about that a bit, and I'll let you guys know if I think I can handle it.

Take your time, Claudia. I probably won't get up until about 8 o'clock in the morning... :D :D :D

Seriously though, every time I see a G scale engine (in our fav paint scheme :D ) , I think about how a layout could be pulled off in our space. I've even thought of buying one just to display. We'd get my money's worth out of it just looking at it.

grande man said:
I wonder if Marty would be interested in posting here??? He does have some incredible photos.

I have exchanged a lot of personal emails with him. I will pop one off and see what he thinks. He would be a great addition, especially for the G scale group.

Finally!!!

Hi David
I finally got signed on to this place. Wheres the trains?
I'm doing so reworking on the RR. Moving a line etc. I hope to be a more "operating" RR.
Plus I'm heading to Des Moines tomorrow with my coal train to run on a friends RR. Will post photos late.
David, thanks for the invite to this place. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty Cozad said:
Hi David
I finally got signed on to this place. Wheres the trains?
I'm doing so reworking on the RR. Moving a line etc. I hope to be a more "operating" RR.
Plus I'm heading to Des Moines tomorrow with my coal train to run on a friends RR. Will post photos late.
David, thanks for the invite to this place. :D

Welcome Marty!

The G scale needs some additional blood. Your photos are top notch and will be very welcome by the folks here. Also there are questions that you would have the answers to. I definately would like to see some photos. Feel free to post on the Weekend Photo Fun of some of your current stuff.

grande man said:
LRF, is this something you'd care to tackle? Not to put you on the spot or anything...
OK. I can take a whack at this. I'll have an outline up sometime this weekend.

Just can't get good help these days...

I'm gonna be late with the outline --- I'm thinking about it, though. Got a better offer. :D Grandkids are coming for the afternoon --- ages = 2 and 9. I should be recovered by Tuesday or so.

Would it help, if we posted some questions and you can get a list of them sort of use that as the basis of an FAQ? I have a few I asked my LHS, be happy to repost here.

That's a FABULOUS idea. I was an editor in a former life, so it would be right down my alley. The dinner bell just rang, so I'll be back a bit later to get the ball rolling.
THANKS!

Here are a couple of options. Let's start a new thread here in the G Scale and Garden Railways forum entitled, "Ask Your G-Scale Questions Here." I'd open it with an introduction describing what we plan to do, and ask people to post their questions. We'd use those questions as a basis for the FAQ.

With the new thread in place, we can then close/lock this thread, after inserting an explanation and a redirect to the "Ask" thread at the top of the first post here. That will save new viewers the trouble of reading the first 18 posts before they get to our request for questions.

Once we have the FAQ in place, we can announce it and make it "sticky" so it always appears at the top in this topic.

We could also just let this thread run rather than close it, and pick up FAQ related questions as they appear.

Comments?

Claudia

Both good ideas, hmm, I guess let this stay as a general discussion to bounce ideas, and have the other thread be strickly for posting questions? Did you plan on answering them there? Or collect so you can start the FAQ?

dthurman said:
I guess let this stay as a general discussion to bounce ideas, and have the other thread be strickly for posting questions?
Yes, that way folks can see what others have already asked, all in one place.
Did you plan on answering them there? Or collect so you can start the FAQ?
I think I would answer or respond only if I want clarification of a question. Otherwise, I'll just add information to the FAQ draft itself. Once the FAQ is in place, people can still comment or add further questions.

This kind of document tends to remain "unfinished" for a while. :)

Back