Future uncertain for world's largest model train store

Bruette

Here is the story from Lionel's Tracks website, my home page. "This is a site for people who love trains. Even if they don’t know it yet."
CH1.JPG

http://tracks.lionel.com/future-uncertain-for-caboose-hobbies/

Here is the story from Lionel's Tracks website, my home page.
Yes, they have been having a 20% off everything that is left sale for over a month now. Of course, the last time I was in there (before they found out they had to move) I was so distressed that the shelves were basically empty anyway. Unlike in the 1980s when they had shelf extensions and large ladders needed to reach those extensions. I was surprised because I thought they actually owned this building.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how that feels to see a favorite store clearing their shelves. I just went to Mars Supermarket here in southeast Baltimore and they had all these empty shelves, it was sad.

The good news is Caboose Hobbies is looking for a new location, I wish them well.

I would usually make it a point to stop by Caboose Hobbies if I was going through the area. It is probably the best decent model railroad shop that is close to me. Only 700 miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately today the owners announced their retirement and that they will close 9/25 permanently

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That is terrible news. Being on the east coast I would probably never get to see the store, but from what I heard it was a special store.

Oh no! This is one of four places I buy online. MB KLEIN, EBay, and Walthers being the others. I needed more Arizona Mineral Company ballast. I suppose someone else carries it though. To bad they are closing and not just becoming an online store only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the fat lady sang yesterday. I wasn't sure if Duane Miller was the sole proprietor but given his retirement age, it's not surprise. And even if the lease wouldn't have expired, my guess is if Duane didn't have plans for a successor, CH would have closed in the next year or two anyway.

Is it really the worlds largest? That's the first time I've seen that.
It was. After they moved to this location in the early 1980s they kept expanding and expanding. Then they added to all the shelfs vertically so it was floor to ceiling for a while. But like I said, the last time I went in there (before they announced any of this) it was really sad. Every think I wanted they said, "we can order that for you". Well, in this day I go to the store because I need things NOW.

I wonder what is going to happen to all the things I do have "on order"?

Horseman,

I am like you, I go to a store because I need something there and then. All too often stores tell us "we can order for you". Why would I want a store to order something on line that I can do from home and cut out the middle man so to speak?

I might be wrong here but if you have placed an order with that company they are, or should be, obligated to honor the order and process it/them as normal. Either that, they would need to refund you the money you spent with them for that/those orders.

If they are a credible store, whether they are going out of business or not, they should at least inform you of what is happening with your orders. I'd suggest that would be just a common courtesy.

I think the "We can order for you" is more of a last ditch attempt to secure some business in the hope you might be one of the very, very few who haven't been enticed by this new fangled computer thingy.

I.H. I would give a call well before they close.

Caboose Hobbies will be open until late September and has promised that all orders will be fulfilled. I read a comment that the Caboose Hobbies name may have been sold to an O scale dealer and he may take over the existing order list and fulfill it at the prices the customers committed to.

As for the "we can order it for you" - that has been said to me before a number of times in past years and I never took any of them up on it. For the past 10+ years if there was something you needed, you could find a mail order or online vendor who had it now, and you could simply order it from them, pay with CC and it would arrive in 3 or 4 days usually.

Wow this really sucks! When I heard they had to move. I was pissed off because I know how Denver real estate is right now, which is completely off the wacker, out of control. Too many people moving here. So I figured the landloard was selling the place for huge amount of money.

Now they can't even afford to pay rent for a new place. Just like everybody else who rents here, including me. I rent a small house, and back in 2008 I was paying $1200/mo. Now I'm paying $1700. Its ridiculous.

But over the past year or so, every time I went to Caboose, the shelves seemed more empty, more empty. I also noticed they weren't as busy as they used to be.

Good to see you Michael, I was getting worried because I had not seen your posts lately.

Sorry it had to be over such unfortunate circumstances.

Who knew a weed could motivate so many people to relocate?

Yes, they will fill any existing orders, but will probably not take any new ones, unless it is for something they can get quickly. For quite awhile now, IMHO, Caboose was carrying mostly things you could get from Walthers. When I went in yesterday, "the cupboard was pretty bare"! :( One of the things I had been looking at (an E8 in C.B.&Q. livery from Bachman) was gone. Fortunately, I had at least grabbed its mate a few weeks back. I picked up a book that is long out of publication, as well as a pair of #8 Atlas turnouts that I probably don't have any use for right now...but you never know. Although I live in the area, I don't know if I'll get in there again before they close. Sad, very sad! :(

My first visit to Caboose, was in 1996-spent at least 2 hours in the place that day. Last time I was there, was a little over a year ago. To me, the writing was on the way then. I wish them the best of everything in retirement-they've earned it. As a model railroader, who would pass thru Denver, semi-regularly, for a number of years, I'm wondering where I'd go for trains, next time I'm there, although its pretty much the same, everywhere. I typically also, visit the LHS, because I want something right now, and/or like to window shop, and will buy on impulse, if I see what I like, or need. Those days, are gone, in most instances, any more.

If you're familiar with what happened to Lionel in the late 50's and early 60's, I'd say, although there is plenty of stuff that the manufacturers say is, or will be available, a lot of stuff announced, is canceled, due to lack of orders, and if it is produced, its only a very limited number of units, available for a very short time, at a very high price, with no likelihood, that it will ever be re-run, in many cases. That's 'just in time/lean,' manufacturing for you. Maximizing profit, thru minimizing inventory. Works for the manufacturers, or has, for now, sucks for the customer, or retail store owner. Cant help but think, either there are going to be fewer manufacturers , as well as fewer customers, down the road, too. at one time toy soldiers were the largest selling 'toy,' on the market. Not too common today, though.

And The battle cry for most hobbies is "support your local hobby shop", I'd love to. But think some people must have to drive right past model train stuff, that must be nice.

G'day all...Could be a sign of the times I'm afraid..as each year passes dedicated retail stores across the board are finding near impossible to compete financially with online and EBAY stores..In my State , Tasmania , Australia this is certainly the case..No-one is a dedicated model rail store anymore..they just carry some limited items for the above reasons..Consequently all but a few of my items come from Tiger Models and Hobbies , Birchalls and Sorrell Hobby Store that used to be pretty good..Cheers Rod.

Rodney.

The way of the internet sadly enough. I wonder how long it will be before stores will realise that some people like to be able to touch, and see, what they buy before buying, especially when it comes to hobbies?

Back