Funaro & Camerlengo Well Hole Flat Car

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I found this on ebay. Thought it might be an interesting item to add to my rolling stock roster.

s-l1600.jpg

It requires some patience and precision tools to make it look good. Some under body detail, the ladders and brake lines need to be trimmed from the molding splash and applied. Ahhh, I just noticed, I haven't applied the brake wheels.
This is the completed model. Decals are yet to be applied.
The 3 axel trucks they provide are sans wheels. They were still a bit to wide for the body so I replaced them with a set that I had in my box-O-spare 3 axel trucks which were a bit narrower.

20210531_211737.jpg

What did they haul, it looks rather specialized?
Thy were designed to haul loads that were taller than they were wide or long. Large gears or wheels, stamping or forging machinery, transformers, etc. The well allows the load to be positions just a few inches above the rails, allowing maximum height, but since it has to fit in the well, it has limitations on how wide and long it can be.

Depressed center flat cars can haul loads wider and longer, but since they have the thickness of the flat car deck under the load, they can't haul as tall of a load.

Back