Fun Fare 5/15

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
Remember- 1949 publish date.;)

Actor-producer Eddie Dowling tells this one:
With Sally, Irene and MaryI hit the Broadway footlights in 1917. I was anxious to have my parents visit me and share my glory. It was surely time they went somewhere. Mother was born on the family farm in Rhode Island and had never ventured more than ten miles away in her whole life. If Papa had covered more ground, it was his own secret.

Detiremined to make their first train ride an enjoyable one, I set out to get them a drawing room. It took plenty of pull and a little borrowed money to swing the deal. I sent the prize tickets and two new suitcases to the folks.

Mother was as mad as a wet hen when she stepped off the train in New York. "We've never been so humiliated in our lives," she sputtered indignatly.

"What happened?" I cried.

Finally she calmed down sufficiently to explain. "We got on the train where a lot of nice people were sitting -- windows on both sides! Then some man in a shiny suit took one look at us and shut us up in a little closet!"

I almost cried laughing at that one. Next week will be The Husband's first overnighter in a "Roomette." I've warned him about how cozy they are, but it remains to be seen whether he'll stay there all night or hang out in in the Club Car. :D :D :D

Back