Front End Friday

Lee, NP is my favorite "old" railroad, I also have a couple brass steamers and an RS11 built in 2001 so I could put a Soundtraxx DSD in it. So I have gone OOE, out-of-era, before. The problem is my little railroad can use 4-5 locomotives at most and maybe 30 cars. The trouble is there are around 150 locos and several hundred cars so money would be better spent on upgrading equipment already on the property, adding sound decoders, for example. They are pretty though and I do have some NP cars and caboose so.....

Iron Horseman, they are early Athearn Genesis. It looks like the current offerings come with the details I mentioned above, at nearly 3x the per unit price I paid. I think an A and B were displayed and the other two are unopened. I don't think any were run, the wheels show no wear. They are my first F units since the few blue box ones I bought for trucks and motors. They look really nice, just missing a few details. The cab interior seems to sit really high, it looks like the seat part of the seats are even with the window sills, 18" - 2ft high maybe?

I missed this yesterday, so here is a "Front End Friday +1" picture.
IMG_0940.JPG

ScaleTrains Dash9-44CW #600, pictured before it got too many miles on it. It's waiting on the passing siding for the northbound intermodal train to pass by.

1653606607317.png

Somewhat the worse for wear C.B.&Q. Motor #9908, the last of the shovelnoses pulls out of Galesburg with a single double-deck commuter car in tow. #9908 is the only Zephyr lead unit with a single A-1-A power truck. Originally assigned to the General Pershing Zephyr as "Silver Steed", introduction of E-units for passenger service has relegated it to secondary duties. The unit was scratchbuilt from an article in an old issue of MR.
1653607085870.png

A trio of shovelnose "motors" as the Burlington called its diesel-electric power cars. L-to-r, #9900, The Pioneer Zephyr; #9904, Silver King with booster "Silver Queen behind it; and #9908, on the Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the Burlington Route (HO scale). Not the best lighting job on #9908 in this photo.

Nice pic Willie sorry I missed it last Friday

Paul. Thanks for the information on your NP. I’ve had one of those Athearn Blue Box at one time it was Green. I think it was for passenger service.

trailrider thanks for sharing your pics

Lee, the old green Athearn NP F7 was just a screw up, same as the 2015 Korea Brass release of the U25C. The old Floquil "Grimy Black", back when it came in square bottles for 70¢, is close to the same green color. I've wondered if they were trying for a grimy black effect.

The two tone green were passenger locos but much lighter and prettier, often called the Lowey scheme, after designer Raymond Lowey.

My front end friday today is this SP GP-9, I won't call it mint, but it is brand new. I don't even think there is an hour of total run time on it. Hand rails need a little attention. I can remember getting it from a hobby store in Medford, I lived in Grants Pass then, this would be 1968-9. It took me a long time to come up with the $12.98.
IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

Nice clean box....
IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

My front end friday today is this SP GP-9, I won't call it mint, but it is brand new. I don't even think there is an hour of total run time on it. Hand rails need a little attention. I can remember getting it from a hobby store in Medford, I lived in Grants Pass then, this would be 1968-9. It took me a long time to come up with the $12.98.
View attachment 146523
View attachment 146524
View attachment 146525
Nice clean box....
View attachment 146526
View attachment 146527
Nice classic your like me you hang on to the old stuff too

Gonna have to keep going with the prototype photos, I've got a lot more of those handy vs. layout pictures.
BNSF 2100 and 2322, both mid-1970s model GP38-2's, shove a long string of mixed cars backwards into the Vancouver, WA yard this past February. The lead unit started with BN and still has its original number of #2100, the second unit started with SLSF as #467.

52103331364_1fc8599daf_o.jpg

Back