Frisco switch crew

Kermit

The crew of a Frisco switch job prepares to run around a hopper at the local grain elevator and pick it up. The Frisco Alco VO1000 idles patiently while the crew works to throw the switch. The photo was taken on my HO scale home layout. The locomotive is by Stewart Products.

Hi Kermit
That's a real nice presentation of a scene you have. Reminicent of what it would be like in a small town, certainly no glaring errors, and I like it.
Cheers Willis

Hello Kermit,
The picture of the Frisco locomotive ,along with the scenery, is excellent. Great job building that little town! I'm currently getting ready to build a layout myself and I have a question. How long (about) did it take you to build the layout (just curious.)
Keep up the good work,
Chris Moore

I didn't really keep track of how long it took to build the layout, but to get it to a fairly presentable stage I'd say was a couple of years. I didn't get too intense about it. If I have to work too hard at it...well...then it becomes work. I still don't have the layout complete. It's probably 95% complete. I'm not sure if any layout is ever really complete. ;)

Kermit said:
If I have to work too hard at it...well...then it becomes work. I still don't have the layout complete. It's probably 95% complete. I'm not sure if any layout is ever really complete. ;)

Words of model railroading wisdom!
Great job Kermit. :D

Originally Posted by Kermit
If I have to work too hard at it...well...then it becomes work.
I'll echo Od 97's statement "Words of model railroading wisdom!"
Yes it seems I've been at mine for years now and I'm just getting some scenery on it now. To me it's a pastime with enough challenges to keep my mind active, when I accomplish something that has required some ingenuity on my part, I feel good about it, hence the term model railroading is fun. I rarely run any trains except as a test of some modification I have done to the trackage, but look foreward to the day I can set up an operational schedule to follow. For now the construction part of the hobby is enough to keep me active during my free time.
Cheers Willis

Ahhhhh...a very keen eye. Yes, it is based upon the Red Wing Division layout from Model Railroader. Before this I was working on a large layout. It was too big. It got to the point where I was not finished with it, and the maintenance of track cleaning, etc. was a full time job. I just became unhappy with that layout and eventually tore it out. I found the Red Wing Division plan in MR and the more I studied it the more I liked it. I have taken some liberties with the plan, and am adding two small additions as I get time and am in the mood. The basic plan from MR has served well and I remain happy with it. A layout doesn't have to be large to be good. :)

Kermit said:
Yes, it is based upon the Red Wing Division layout from Model Railroader. :)

Kermit,
Can you tell us what issue of Model Railroader the Red Wing Division
appeared in???????? :confused:

I don't have the issue of Model Railroader available at this moment, but I believe it was featured in the December 1994 issue of Model Railroader.

Kermit, I may have to disagree with you on one thing. My layout can never be to big, but that just me! I like your pic, you have a nice looking little town there!! :cool:

My layout can never be to big,
Well I have to agree in my own case also. IF I ever finish what I'm doing now or want a change of pace I'll be building a yard and engine terminal in the next room which as my wife says I might as well take it over for the trains. I can see where it most likely will never be finished and that's ok with me, it will have served its purpose.
Having said that, I also feel that a model railroad is a personal thing and there are those of us who prefer smaller layouts for their own reasons. It may be space available, a yen to see the layout finished in a reasonable time to run trains or possibly they do not enjoy the construction phase of the hobby. The last would be a sad thing.
Tonight I finished a portion (about 10') of my scenery, tomorow , next week I could decide it is all wrong, tear it up and start over. I've put many hours over several days into this, and tonight was just putting the ground foam on.Being satisfied with what you do is part of it too. OH! Well time to put the soap box away as it's passing the witching hour for me So!
Cheers Willis

Tonights Fun!

Old 97,

Do you have a larger version of your avatar picture that you could post as an attachment? It looks interesting but it's too small for me to see clearly.

modelbob said:
Old 97,

Do you have a larger version of your avatar picture that you could post as an attachment? It looks interesting but it's too small for me to see clearly.

I sure do!!

Back