Frisco SW1500 project

FoamersNW

The Chief
Just a couple of photos of my Frisco SW1500 detail project that I have been working on for a couple of weeks. Photos are courtesty of Ted Curphey.

Athearn SW1500

Detail parts added include

MU hoses
beacon
bell
rerailers
chains
drop step
MU plug ins
replaced Flexicoil trucks with AAR
cab shades
fuel filler
"Be Careful" decals on end steps.

Still waiting on a couple of more parts: more MU hoses, and Laser cut flush mount window inserts, and hand grabs. Also need to finish decaling up the numberboards, add couplers, and a light weathering.

Rotary beacon will be lit with grain bulb and will be installed with DCC decoder for use on the Brent Strong's BN Allen Sub in Rochester, WA.
Next to it is the first switcher detailed out: BN SW1500 with similar detail parts.

I plan to sub-letter the 319 as BN 24 but need to find the right decals to reflect the black temp lettering (any help?)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. Is that a stock painted loco? I'm guessing you'll have to drill out the beacon to place the GOW bulb in.

Nice work Robert, i have a couple of Sw1500' this BN one and one i got off ebay last year which is brush painted in UP colours, it will be repainted when i get time into BN.
I have painted the handrails etc on this one but still have to add some extra details to finnish it off
PB190054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of lettering is it? I found a website that offers RR font downloads:
http://www.railsimstuff.com/fonts1.php

Make sure to check "More fonts" too. You might be able to print the decal off. I downloaded the TTX one, but I still have not made the "long runner" decals I need. to use, just drop the font into your windows fonts folder.

Nice work Robert, i have a couple of Sw1500' this BN one and one i got off ebay last year which is brush painted in UP colours, it will be repainted when i get time into BN.
I have painted the handrails etc on this one but still have to add some extra details to finnish it off
PB190054.jpg

Strong work! I found that there is about $20 in detail parts needed to get it close. A drop step, stantion chains, firecracker antenna, MU hoses, and beacon dress it up nicely.

I work with a prototype photo of the exact number and try to model it exact as show (within reason).

Nice loco Brakie. The 1500 is probably my favorite model out of all with the GP9/SD9 a close second.

The Frisco is a stock Athearn paint job.

Nice addition to the grabirons. They look a little more straight than my first attempt. Damned .080 drill bits!

Ever think of making a fleet of Weyerhauser 1500s? That would look pretty neat pulling homebuilt centerbeams and chip cars down Brent's Coal branch :)

Robert- it is dedicated modelers and good friends like you and others that are going to help make the BN Allen Sub a Great Model RR.

Thanks!

Back