Friday the 13th! WPF 13-15

I was asked to post this here. This is a panorama shot of the Spencer Roundhouse at the NCTM, in Spencer, NC. Its made up of seven shots I took of the place right before a storm. :) I used a program that came with my new camera last year but never noticed on the disk. Its called "Panorama Maker"
Tried to do this manually a while back and it didn't work well.

Carey,
That's a NICE roundhouse and a NICE shot!!...Great job! That would be a sweet backdrop for someone who don't have room for a roundhouse/turntable..;)

The handles do come off. The upper would be the engine brake. The lower the train brake. Why they have the engine brake upside down is a good question.

NYC_George

I understand what brake handle does what and that they come off but on the locomotive I would run with that same brake stand, there was no way to put the handle in upside down. I think it would be difficult to use that sort of independent brake that way without feeling the notches to know what position your brake handle is in. the only thin you could feel operating that brake is release and apply because of the springs in the handle for the quick release and quick apply sections of the valve.

I understand what brake handle does what and that they come off but on the locomotive I would run with that same brake stand, there was no way to put the handle in upside down. I think it would be difficult to use that sort of independent brake that way without feeling the notches to know what position your brake handle is in. the only thin you could feel operating that brake is release and apply because of the springs in the handle for the quick release and quick apply sections of the valve.

Well at least in the engines I ran there was no positions in the engine brake only the train brake. It was from off - to full on and pushing down on the handle would bail the brakes off. That is for FL9's and E8's. Others may be different.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly...the gent (engineer) had told me it was set the other way when the notches were intact. He had said when he took over for an o'l timer 15 years ago that he had made the change. For his comfort. That loco ran like a top guys it was so cool. I dropped 5 empties with him and pick up 32 fulls and when we took the full loads that loco took it like a champ and no sand was applied! It was so sweet! I tell tell ya I was beside myself! You would of thought I won a million dollars! LOL

Hi guys,

I haven't posted any pictures in a while, but some progress has been made. I think it was Ken L. that asked for some pictures of my walls, so here is what I am starting with. So far, I have painted over these walls in a series of lighter shades of blue. Next step is to feather the colors a little with my airbrush and pull white up from the bottom. Then will come the rough out line and then the detail painting of the back drop. I figure that will take a month or so of Sundays.

This is the yard wall.

rrtc0002.gif

This is the Train City wall.

rrtc0003.gif

This is the forest/Rock canyon wall.

rrtc0004.gif

And this is the scene of the crime.

rrtc0005.gif

Last weekend, my wife and I decided my son needed a hobby. My son weighed his choices and reluctantly chose model trains. Here is his foray. The structure is a cheap Atlas farm shed that Shane painted and glued together. He still has to weather it.

[
ShaneStructure01.gif

Great cloud work Chip!!..I like how you laid the walkways out on the floor too...And your sons farm shed looks better than my plain white one! Great Job! He's a master in the makings!

WOW - lots of great stuff everybody! (I don't have time to comment on every contribution, because then I'd be at the friggin' keyboard all day <LOL>)

This isn't really a photo, but it is definitely a train-related image - a shrunk-down bitmap image of my layout and trainroom in XtrkCAD, with a few add-ins. The dipicted area is 24ft on the horizontal axis, and 22ft vertical axis. (Wish I'd have had more time to label everything, but unfortunately I didn't.)

It shows most of the area of my garage, including a single-ended staging yard I plan to install soon (blue track near top). It's probably the most up-to-date graphical depiction of my layout as it exists today. It was done after-the-fact, so some structure placements and footprints may not be accurate - but I know everything does work!

The teal-colored areas are walkways; the two small light-yellow surfaces toward the right are lift-out sections; the thick cyan lines are extruded-foam view separators; and the solid black areas are wall shelving, appliances and other locations that are forever off-limits to any future epxansion.

ironbelt_w_planned_staging_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW - lots of great stuff everybody! (I don't have time to comment on every contribution, because then I'd be at the friggin' keyboard all day <LOL>)

This isn't really a photo, but it is definitely a train-related image - a shrunk-down bitmap image of my layout and trainroom in XtrkCAD, with a few add-ins. The dipicted area is 24ft on the horizontal axis, and 22ft vertical axis. (Wish I'd have had more time to label everything, but unfortunately I didn't.)

It shows most of the area of my garage, including a single-ended staging yard I plan to install soon (blue track near top). It's probably the most up-to-date graphical depiction of my layout as it exists today. It was done after-the-fact, so some structure placements and footprints may not be accurate - but I know everything does work!

The teal-colored areas are walkways; the two small light-yellow surfaces toward the right are lift-out sections; the thick cyan lines are extruded-foam view separators; and the solid black areas are wall shelving, appliances and other locations that are forever off-limits to any future epxansion.

ironbelt_w_planned_staging_sm.jpg

It's looks very well organized Ken. I think that's the key to a great layout.

NYC_George

P_Pop, Happy New Year to you! It looks like your Prime Minister is enjoying himself.

Great work everyone. I will try to have some photos to share tonight.

Chip really nice clouds and sky, Looks like your son had fun with the modeling. P Pop Happy New Year and say hi to the Prime Minister from the USA !!!

P Pop
Well, if your going to have operating days,,, you may as well invite the PM look's like he was enjoying things

Quest then... If the black is off limits then how are you going to put that staging yard there? :D :p

Quest then... If the black is off limits then how are you going to put that staging yard there? :D :p
Nolo problemo: It's all boxes of my own stuff sitting on the shelf where the blue tracks are - I'll simply be replacing it with different "stuff" of my own! ;)

Carey
Great shots! I really like the ones on the bridge!

Chessie4155
Cool shot!

Steve B
Some neat equipment there!

Bob
Cool layout shots!

Alcomotive
Neat prototype shots!

Steve B
Great outside shots!

Chip
Great backdrop! Looks a new modeler you got there!

Ken L
Cool layout!

P_Pop
Neat shots!

Here are a couple of Walthers Gondolas that installed grab irons on. I originally threw out the grab irons that came with the car. I did not realize I needed to install them. They were in a package with some hook and horn couplers and I missed them. I had to buy some grab irons. The cars were previously weathered so I had to paint and weather the grab irons to blend in.

Reading
Projects_001a.jpg

Lehigh Valley
Projects_002a.jpg

Back