Freight Car Wheels Bottoming Out Atlas Code 83 60 Degree Crossing

gjohnston

Slow Learner
I have an Atlas Code 83 60 degree crossing on my layout and I have noticed that flanges of the wheels on many of my freight cars bottom out while going through the crossing causing the cars to bump up and down. Almost all of the wheels are of the plastic variety.

Should I modify the crossing by filing a deeper groove into the bottom of it so the wheels won't bottom out?
Are the wheels the wrong size? Should I change them out?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you may have some older freight cars giving you the problem with oversize flanges. I have replaced all of the wheels on my freight cars with metal wheels which have the RP-25 contour. All of my track is code 70 and I have no problems at all with the flanges bottoming out.

Hi Chet,

I am sure they are old cars. When I change out the wheels will they need new trucks too, or will the old trucks take the new metal wheels?

Thanks

You might check out Intermountain wheels. In most cases they'll drop right in. I started replacing all of my wheels over 30 years ago with metal wheels. Kadee was one of the few companies that offered replacement wheels, but now that are more companies offering them. I buy them in bulk packs from Intermountain.

Filing down the plastic is a good alternative. A club I spent some time with did this on lots of their turnouts and crossings. They were Atlas brand as well.

Filing down the plastic is a good alternative. A club I spent some time with did this on lots of their turnouts and crossings. They were Atlas brand as well.

Thanks for the input. I think I will order some replacement wheels as they run so much nicer, but in the meantime a little filing on the plastic bottom of the crossing should solve this particular problem.

Back