Freight Car Kit Or Scratch Build Contest.

One more.

This was an Intermountain 40' boxcar kit, cut and spliced with extra height to represent one of a small group of cars that Canadian Pacific extended the height of for kitchen appliance service. The Intermountain kit, with separate body, ends, doors and roof really lends itself nicely to all sorts of kitbashing opportunities.

IMG_1180.jpg

If you can't tell already, I love oddball and converted cars.

This pair of woodchip cars also started as Intermountain PS-1 kits, with scratchbuilt side extensions and doors.

IMG_24891.jpg

This pair has a "long" history - as in, I finished the side extensions for one car, started on the next one and promptly left them on the shelf for about five years before resurrecting the project to finish the second car's extensions, build the doors for both cars and paint them. They're now in service at my club.

Again, a wonderful job, Chris! It doesn't matter how long it takes to complete a build, if it eventually gets done!

We have 12 days until the contest is over and I count 23 entries so far. On the 1st of November we will make a selection. Because the judges have to come to an agreement on which car is the winner, the selection process might take a day or more to complete.

Again, the rules are: The car must be built from scratch; or, a kit. No Ready to Run cars are allowed! This is being done with the express purpose of promoting building models, as opposed to purchasing RTR. The contest will run to October 31th, 2017. Anyone (including the contest promoter) can enter. When the car was built is of no consequence, cars 20+ years old, qualify as well as cars finished today. Cars may be weathered; or, not and should not be judged because of the weathering. Kits may be as simple as the old Athearn Blue Box kit. Winning simply gives the winner the accolades of praise for their hard work by a panel of judges. This contest is to promote our freight, non-revenue and passenger car building skills. When the car was built is of no consequence, cars 100+ years old qualify as well as cars finished today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine from the past! On3' 100% scratch built stock cars - I did 6 0f them at the same time!
Grant Line trucks, Kaydee couplers, some underbody detail, and lots of NBW's.

View attachment 63010

View attachment 63011

That there is excellent work.

So was this:

Ok, I'll play...here is an HO model of a B&O I-5d caboose that I completed this past winter. The body is totally scratchbuilt from Evergreen styrene sheets and strips, sitting on a brass chassis that was salvaged from a beat-up brass model.

Nice work on those models guys. Here's an On30 kit from Boulder Valley Models, built on an HO Bachmann 45 tonner.

Attachments

• PICTURES FROM THE DISK 2098 (Large).jpg
    PICTURES FROM THE DISK 2098 (Large).jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 184
cv_acr, Your photos seem to come and go? One minute they're there, the next their gone! Then, all of a sudden there back!!! I have not seen this with anyone else's photos!

rlundy90, That is a very nice "Critter"! Looks like that would have been fun to build!

His photos are linked from another site, that's why they seemed to disappear, that site was probably having issues.

Meanwhile, I understand some folks are having problems uploading images? What's happening? What errors are you seeing?

A week from this coming Tuesday this contest will end. If you have an entry you want to enter, by all means do so. If you can't post photos because of the changes which where made here at the Model Railroad Forum, maybe we can get someone to post the photos for you. Are there people here who would be willing to do this? Good Luck!

Bob, your suggested way works. I just need to learn how to control photo size in my camera. Then I need to remember how to do this the next time I need to. These photos are not entries in the contest!
asset.php
asset.php

As of today we are one week away from the end of this contest. Get your entries in!

I use a simple little program called Image resizer for Windows. All you do is right click on a photo and it comes up. I resize to large and have never had a problem posting anywhere. I take all my photos at about 5Mb. If you Google Brice Lambson it will come up. I have been using this program for many years with no problems. It is also super simple to use.

So, we are down to the wire, now. Any last entries? My confuser died last Wednesday and we had to buy a new one. So, I'm back. The end of the day tomorrow will be the end of this contest. Good Luck!

Judges are you watching? What do you think, please PM me.

How about this box car. I have no idea of where it came from. It had no trucks or couplers and had paint spots dripped all over it. I was thinking of throwing it in the trash but figured I would attempt some weathering on it.

20171029_172528.jpg

I use a simple little program called Image resizer for Windows. All you do is right click on a photo and it comes up. I resize to large and have never had a problem posting anywhere. I take all my photos at about 5Mb. If you Google Brice Lambson it will come up. I have been using this program for many years with no problems. It is also super simple to use.

rlundy90 --Thank you so much for posting this. You are correct that it is good, fast, and most of all very simple to use.
Just what a "dummy" like me needs.

Is the Image Resize software entitled "Photo Pad Image Editor"?

We are down to the last 18 hours of this contest, so get your entry in! Judges, I have sent you a P.M. reminding you of how the contest works. I apologize that the contest was thrown into a tizzy, because of the changes in how photos can be uploaded to this site. That occupied much of the conversation here at this thread over the last couple weeks. At any rate, I have enjoyed doing this and would consider doing it again if interest warranted. Thank you to the Judges and to all the entrants!

Mark, NP2626

Back