Freight Car Kit Or Scratch Build Contest.

As of 12:00 my time (Central Standard Time) tonight, October 31st, 2017 this contest will officially be over!

Here is a contest to show our freight, non-revenue and passenger car building skills. The rules are: The car must be built from scratch; or, a kit.

There you go, lets have some fun! Please enter!
Ulrich Model #250, war emergency composite gondola. Built sometime in the distant past (at least 30 years ago). Recently updated the weathering to include some left over loads and trash.
Gondola2.jpg
Different lighting....
gondola3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job, Iron Horseman! You are the last entrant and the contest is officially over. Let's hear from the judges!

CSX_road_slug is our winner by unanimous vote, all three judges love his work on scratch building the body for this caboose! (See post 17). Congratulations to keN! I was extremely impressed with the caliber of all the entrants in this contest. If the contest runs again, many of you have shot at winning, so don't be disheartened!

Ken, if you will PM me with your mail address, I will get your Red Caboose reefer on it's way to you!

Mark DeSchane, NP2626

Ok, I'll play...here is an HO model of a B&O I-5d caboose that I completed this past winter. The body is totally scratchbuilt from Evergreen styrene sheets and strips, sitting on a brass chassis that was salvaged from a beat-up brass model.

CSX_road_slug is our winner by unanimous vote, all three judges love his work on scratch building the body for this caboose! (See post 17). Congratulations to keN! I was extremely impressed with the caliber of all the entrants in this contest. If the contest runs again, many of you have shot at winning, so don't be disheartened!

Ken, if you will PM me with your mail address, I will get your Red Caboose reefer on it's way to you!

Mark DeSchane, NP2626

Well....dang, Mark, I'm totally humbled!:eek: Thanks, judges (whoever you are)! PM sent...

"Thanks, judges (whoever you are)!"

Ken just look at your check book, the names are there! :p
Kidding of course, very nice work and rightly deserved!
Nice work from everyone, must have been a tough decision....

The judges themselves can stand up and take a bow, if they choose. I have not given out their names as I did not feel it was my right, people sometimes want to remain anonymous! However, I was one of the three. From my point of view, the decision just made sense! However, to be sure there where many deserving entries!

Back