Freight Car Kit Or Scratch Build Contest.

If you intended cars finished since the start of this thread, I can submit this one, which I just finished last night (the other one was years ago). Part of the Walthers MOW kit of 6 cars, the flatbed:

Flatbed8.jpg

And with it's sister blacksmith car (completed quite awhile ago):

MOW2.jpg

Again, I have had to add to the rules of the contest for clarification sake. For clarification, the contest is to promote our freight, non-revenue and passenger car building skills. When the car was built is of no consequence, cars 20+ years old, qualify as well as cars finished today. The new verbiage has been typed in Italics and underlined. Please read my first post on Page 1 if things are still unclear.

When I posted the original Rules on Page 1, I had no idea of our ability to complicate simple rules!

My guess is, with this contest running to October 31st, 2017, I will probably have to clarify something again, maybe more than that.

Thanks for the reply Sherrel. The RGS is my second favorite RR! It has everything, horrendous terrain to cross, Steam power, 3 foot gauge, low cash flow. What else could a model railroader ask for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else going to post photos of cars they have built from kits of scratch? Maybe extending this contest through October was a mistake, as no one else since Ianacole on 9/5 has decided to participate.

Here are a few more cars. The first is a Great Northern wood caboose kit that was lettered for my freelance railroad.

IMAG0267.jpg

The rest are old Blue Box kits that started out undecorated (black) and were lettered for my Logan Valley, unfortunately, letter by letter along with the freight car data. The cars for the Gallatin Canyon were also undecorated and lettered using custom decals.

IMAG0265.jpg IMAG0259.jpg IMAG0261.jpg

Did these over 25 years ago to keep occupied while laying track.

Here's a flat car I scratch built on top of my scratch built turn table.

65CCB035-9E4F-40D9-A1DF-ABDF33748812_zpsfuzggyoh.jpg

Certainly not an award winner by any stretch of the imagination, but it just shows that anyone can get started in scratch building if they want to.

Here's a flat car I scratch built on top of my scratch built turn table.

Certainly not an award winner by any stretch of the imagination, but it just shows that anyone can get started in scratch building if they want to.
Oh I don't know. Are those truck frames made out of safety pins?

Oh I don't know. Are those truck frames made out of safety pins?

No, Brass wire. My ambitions were greater than my talent on that one. I bought a bunch more brass stock to make a better go at scratch built trucks, but that project never really made it off the ground.

I bought an IM SP 42 foot flat car that had been on special order since god knows when even though it was a total foobie. Thinking about new Owl mountain F-50-10,12 cars on order I spent a week of work making the IM car a little better stand in for an SP F-50-16.

-New widened deck which was a problem as I could not pry off old one and had to use thin scribbed plastic for top with small sections of the new overhang cut from scribbed material between stake pocket cut outs.

-New Tichy stake holders re-spaced to follow SP practice

-New Tichy brake wheel and gear

-New Tichy stirrups with correct SP profile for the F-50-16

-Painted over flat's fish belly sides with thinned Vallejo Model Color Mahogany Brown to tone down the non-SP dark purple brown color. I used a damp micro brush to remove the new paint from the lettering

Anyway looks like this now:

F-50-16 from IM F whatever 5.jpg
click to enlarge

Autocoach, Very nice flat car! We have finally entered October, at the end of this month a winner will be chosen. Are there anymore takers? As an incentive to get more people involved, I have purchased a Red Caboose Swift Wood Sided Mather Reefer, Road Number SRLX 15905 KIT to give away as a trophy!

Back