Freight Car Equipment - 1910

eTraxx

I'm still in the early 'planning stage' for my layout. It will be a switching/industrial layout. Wanting to model in HO I am thinking of 'turn-of-the-century' .. the shorter cars and 'variety of interesting details' makes this tempting .. the fact that I would have to scratch-build is a plus.

In any case, I was looking for information on the freight cars of this era. I remember having a Model Railroad book (was years ago - why the memory is vague) that was about scratch-building rolling stock. A lot of the cars were early designs.

Looking through Google Books I hit the jackpot. (I was looking only at 'Full View' books - meaning that they are out of copyright so the entire book is there. You can download these as PDF files. Sweet). The book was published in 1910 and is titled "Freight Car Equipment". The sub-title is "A reference book for car men on Freight Car work, describing and illustrating in detail the different kinds of freight cars now built and various devices used in their construction, and repairs ..."

I would appreciate any pointers to some good reference material for modeling this time period.

Chris. Thanks bunches!! That's a great link .. gives me all kind of ideas (your idea I think :). With that first 1903 experiment through the mid-20's with the boxcabs gives me the idea to move the era to say .. 1925. What fun!!

Your welcome ed, that site got me to love the old boxcab. That's a locomotive that is rarely modeled and yet it's a key turning point in early railroading! Also Check out the steam box cabs, It's gave me and idea for my N scale Life like 0-6-0!

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great! Ha. Could have a small Locomotive/Diesel business 'kitbashing' boxcabs, switchers etc.

Back