Framework with Foam board scenery

Building your bench work.

Hi Richard, [From one Californian to another]
I've been reading everything that Rex, Joe & SpM have mentioned and I'll have to agree that they've given you some very good advise. I'll try to add to it a bit with a few other pointers.

I'm also building a new layout using the L girder method with 2x2 legs and casters but I was thinking early yesterday that a T-Nut and either a cariage bolt or even a hex bolt with a smoth head and a jam nut would be best for leveling rather than casters and probably cheaper too? I screw everything together using dry wall screws and I add a extra point here, if you predrill the holes and even counter sink them a bit before driving the screws in there's almost no chance of spliting anything as long as you don't have the torque setting too high on the drill/driver. By predrilling with a bit slightly bigger bit than the shank of the screw in the threads it alows the screw the most grip as compared to just driving it in which tends to split the wood especially if tightening into end grain.

I also use cardboard strips and forms to generally shape the hill sides, ontop of this I use crumpled up heavy weight grocery bags I attach in a variety of ways. These crumpled up bag often give a very pleasing rocky effect on their own. Next I mix up some Hydrocal and water to form a thick soup type of mixture and I dunk some fairly decent paper towels into the mixture and then overllay that on the brown paper bags, this then, once dry gives you what is refered to as a, 'Thin-Shell' base for your scenery. It very light weight and yet very durabled. Then once almost dry you can start applying your rock castings or they can be done later by slightly wetting the area where the rock casting will be applied, you then hold the slightly moist fresh casting aginst the surface so it adheres good and conforms to the surface for a very natural look.

Another point is that it's very easy to make your own rock castings molds yourself by buying some latex rubber and after findiing some rocks, clean the surface/s you want make the molds of pretty good and paint the surface with Latex being sure to push the ends of the bristles into all the cracks and crevaces real good, when the first coat is dry give it a second coat, once dry you can peal the new mold off the rock, check it for any left over fragments and it's ready to use!

Mix up some Hydrocal in a thinner consistantcy so it will run into the smallest spaces, you can use an acid brush or something similiar to help to ensure that all the cavities in the mold are filled and let it set-up until it's almost dry, but just slightly moist and then press and hold it in place for about a minute or two after weting the surface where it's to be placed slightly with a spray of water to ensure it will adhere good. Now to get a different affect using the same mold turn your mold 180* for an entirely different look to it.

I'll provide some pictures a little later of my bench work, had to charge my batteries, and how I tie the two sections together along with how I brace everything to form a very sturdy frame work. I also don't attach anything to the walls, I just put a piece of foam on a couple of the ends of the boards to bump against the wall for pading.

I also use 1/2" plywood for the sub road bed and try to keep my riseres, 1x4's, about 12" to 14" apart for a good solid feel. Sometimes you'll find it necessarey to lean on the trrack so something substantial like plywood is well worth it! Also I keep my road bed base about 5" wide so I can place a screw on both sides of the roadbed so it's axcessable if I later want to adjust the height up a bit.

HTH

My bench work for the most part.

Here are three shots of my benchwork that I mentioned prior.

The Left hand pic is showing how I join two tables securely;

The middle shot shows the X bracing on the ends;

The Right shot shows a side view of the 45* angle bracing from the inside of the L-girder;

Kindly excuse the clutter, the layout is under construction and going through an expansion phase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this thread!
very interesting/ narrative.
btw Trussrod: Last picture on the right: That "vehicle" must be a nice piece of modellingwork!

Jos

An early U.S.A. Mack Truck!

Hi Jos,

Yes it is quite a piece of modeling work as it's a pretty frail model to assemble with many tiny pieces.

It was made by a good friend of mine who was not only an excellent modeler but also a pattern maker, Ken made the patterns and casted me the parts in plastic for ease of assembly, so to speak, when he saw I assemblied his little truck he was rather impressed as, "Few others I'd given the parts to did", he said.

Btw: Right after I took the picture below I tried to check a couple of things about the model and wound-up breaking the glue joing on several pieces which it took me some time to replace along with the fact that I lost the gas tank that I painted brass and is attached on the side rail frame.

Here's an enlarged view of the truck:

Like this thread!
very interesting/ narrative.
btw Trussrod: Last picture on the right: That "vehicle" must be a nice piece of modellingwork!

Jos

Thanks Trussrod! The pictures of the leg bracing helps tremendously. I am going to start working on my garage. I am running electrical tonight for my lighting (3 shop lights) and then plan on wiring some outlets in the wall. I will then work on the floor and finally weatherize the doors. All this takes money, unfortunately, so that means the actual modeling work won't begin for quite a while (mediocre job, raising family, etc, etc...). Since I have no friends that model and no clubs in my area, I hope I can keep my interest peeked, while I am doing this "pre-work". I will try to keep you guys posted.

If you would like?

Say Grov den,
Your welcome, of course!

If your trying to model this style of truck I can send you a close-up shot of the side, front and back. Is that of interest to you? Just send me your email address as the file size will be a bit larger than I can post on here.

David

thanks David!! =)

Getting your layout going.

Say Richard,
One way to look at it is that it will give you plenty of time to consider different track plans and make changes as desired. That's kind of what I'm fighting with right now in that I'm trying to learn XtrkCad to aid me in desigining the additional trackwork for about three times the run I had originally planned on. I'm not complaining though, except I can't get TrkCad to function as I think it should!!

As far as maintaining your interest besides desiding on a track plan you can also deside on industries to serve and how often to make car exchanges as well what road names you'll run and interchange with for a bit of variety?

A point I might pass along is that actually lumber yards usually have a scrap box and don't object if you help yourself, I check first to be on the safe side though. I know my local Lumber Yard told me that they were not allowed to sell anything that was less than full size, if I remembe correctly. So you might be able to pick up a fair amount of FREE useful wood for bench work.

As far as other modelers that's always an added bonus as long you both see somewhat eye-to-eye, some modelers get very insistant that things be done a certain way, I've known a few and belive me those types of friends you don't need, but as you visit hobby shops in your area you'd be surprised who you might meet. So all is not lost and others from your area may join the forum too!

Thanks Trussrod! The pictures of the leg bracing helps tremendously. I am going to start working on my garage. I am running electrical tonight for my lighting (3 shop lights) and then plan on wiring some outlets in the wall. I will then work on the floor and finally weatherize the doors. All this takes money, unfortunately, so that means the actual modeling work won't begin for quite a while (mediocre job, raising family, etc, etc...). Since I have no friends that model and no clubs in my area, I hope I can keep my interest peeked, while I am doing this "pre-work". I will try to keep you guys posted.

Of added interest.

Richard,
As I viewed a post about getting ideas I went to one of the links, the windsor
MRR Club in Ontario, Canada and opened up this link,

http://www.windsor-modular.com/ This is the main link!

http://www.windsor-modular.com/newLayout.php
This should open up all the links and would be well worth going through a few of the more recent ones as
you can get a very good idea of waht is being done for your use. The spline roadbed is a bit different than I'm doing as my sub roadbed is plywood but I'm laying Celotex on top of that to attach the actual roadbed to. The only thing I thinking is that I had better paint the edges of the Celotex with varnish to seal them against water although I won't be using that much to wet it too much but to be safe I'd better seal the edges.

http://www.windsor-modular.com/showImage.php?file=newLayout/100207-CementInnerCurve.jpg ]

what caught my eye after a bit was that they were using plywood for most everything, the L-girders the uprights as well as the table cross brases! I've been using 1" pine for all the same things and got to thinking that plywood wouldn't tend to give like pine does and might be less costly too??

More food for thought.

Benchwork for foam layout base

I'm "on the bubble" as to the benchwork for my planned N-scale layout extension. The current 3.5 x 7.5, a modified Scenic Ridge layout-in-a-box trackplan, is open grid with 1/8" masonite, with the the WS styrofoam overlaid.

I plan to use 2" extruded foam as the base for the L-shaped extension. I was considering using 2 smaller open-grid box-shapes, bolted together into the L, which is bolted to one end of the existing layout. (looking for some ease of disassembly for an impending move)

The 2" foam is quite rigid, what's the advisability of attaching the foam directly to the grid (joists on 12" centers) without any plywood or masonite underlayment?

My 4x8 modules have 1x4 frames assembled into a box with the 2" foam glued directly on top of it. The frames have two crosspieces in the center for support. I used Liquid Nails for Projects (foam safe version), and basically attached them firmly with 3" drywall screws on the perimeter. When the screws bite into the wood, it pulls the foam tight against the wood.

It's pretty rigid, but obviously, you wouldn't want to stand on it.

Kennedy

Thanks, Kennedy - that's the method I was contemplating. Do I understand you (gently) screwed the foam down onto the frame?

Rick

I've been using Elmer's Glue all, it works wonders on the foam. Although my modules are NOT secured to wood in anyway, rather they are 3 1/2" thick, in layers, with a wood frame legs system that is independent, supporting them.

Josh - that sounds like an idea I'd be interested in - do you have more info about the legs?

i'll want to be able to attach the extension to the existing layout frame.

Rick,

Yeah, I use a cordless drill with the Phillips Head attachment. All I do is poke a small hole in the foam with the drywall screw, then crank the drill at top speed until it bites into the wood. Wood is soft, so no pre-drill is needed. I generally slow down when it gets to with 1/2".

All I want is for the foam to sit tighly on the wood. You'll get some glue squeezing out, but that's not an issue.

I put about 4 on the corners, and then one every foot or so. Just avoid the joint between the crosspieces (since all the wood is glued and screwed also).

:D

Kennedy (Vzzzzzzzz!, MI)

Back