foundry coke

Sheeesh---I'm kind of thinking that I'd almost be going with some of that dark brown/almost black ballast I found and bashing it into smaller chunks and then breaking it up into small pieces with mortar and pestle.:cool::confused:

The only problem is that i do not have a picture of coke in colour so I'm mmmmm:confused:

Coke is always gray and porous, with fairly large holes runing through the surface. It's also very hard. It looks like tufa, with the same porous look, but very much harder. It doesn't look like black coal at all.

Oh good--thanks:eek::)

----now that we know what it is that we're looking for I'd almost be thinking some form of grayish rock that can be used? I had some pumice rock here that did have almost that shade---something like that could be done up in the same manner as one would for a coal load.

Bernie's first picture is foundry coke. It's larger size chunks than blast furnace coke. I wonder why, with so many iron and steel modelers out there, that no one has thought about putting out bags of furnace coke ? I was thinking about a large size gray ballast stone...but it's not quite right :(

A darker gray pumice is almost exactly what blast furnace coke looks like. Foundry coke really does look enough like gray granite that some dark granite ballast should serve as a substitute, although O scale ballast would be more correct for the size. It's hard to match furnace coke, since it's larger and darker gray than HO ballast but not as large as O scale ballast. It's certainly a common load but I suspect most modelers just use gray ballast and call it good enough.

It's certainly a common load but I suspect most modelers just use gray ballast and call it good enough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess I'm too finicky, but gray ballast stone looks like gray ballast stone:

confused: I'm gunna figure somethin' out

Say Larry,
I found some other images on the web that I copied and pulled them into my photo editing program and sharpened them slightly and also lightened them just a bit for better viewing. I'll post them in a while, I need to go out and cut some road bed for myself while it's still light and not to cold.

Talk with you shortly,

David

Here are the two shots I mentioned above, they should show more detail.

Fuel_Coke1.jpg

Fuel_Coke_2.jpg

Here are the two shots I mentioned above, they should show more detail.

Fuel_Coke1.jpg

Fuel_Coke_2.jpg

That's a great shot there by the stairs. Foundry coke is very large chunks and illregular sizes. I saw an old picture of foundry coke being pulled out of a beehive oven back in the old days. I'm going to see if I can find it again. Anyway the coke was HUGE! Some looked over 3 feet long! I'm going to look for some river rock and see if I can change the color to a dark gray.

Back