Found a layout spot

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Hi everyone,
I know I've been talking about building a layout for a while.... but I finally have a spot to build one. In my backyard about 6-8 feet above the ground(don't worry it's easy to get to with a ladder.) For 2 days I have been clearing rocks to set the benchwork down. I think I'll put little legs on it just so small rocks don't interfere. Anyway it will be a long time before I can get the benchwork down. What do you think? Well, until then I'll keep you updated. Do any garden railroaders have tips?
Thanks'
Chris Moore :cool:

Gee Chris, 6 to 8 feet above the ground :confused: Why? Are you building it in a tree house? :D I mean who's going to see it other than than the birds.
For 2 days I have been clearing rocks to set the benchwork down. I think I'll put little legs on it just so small rocks don't interfere.
6 to 8 feet above ground and little legs :confused: just how big are these little rocks?
Seriously I take it this railway is going to be G scale, Lady Railfan is into that and can give you advice on garden railroads. After reading your post I'm a bit confused as to what you plan to do, maybe a little background on your plans would help. As far as gardens go, they call me the executioner :eek: everything I plant ends up on death row.
Cheers Willis

Nope,
This is going to be an HO scale layout (my favorite scale.) As far as the rocks, some are small and some are big, but they need to be removed. By little legs I means about 1 to 1 1/2 inches tall, just so the benchwork is evened out and not angeled. What i'm excited about is the wall is 6 feet tall and 110 feet long(after measuring.) :p And no there are no plants just a few bushes the rails will have to go around.
I'll keep you updated,
Chris Moore :cool:

Sounds fascinating. Hmmm. An outdoor indoor railroad??? I have a little trouble visualizing this. Please furnish some pictures. :)

As for tips, the first thing that comes to mind is that you might want to consider some kind of covering --- plastic sheeting (well anchored, of course) or light canvas to keep the bird poop off the layout. Leaves, and "stuff" left behind by 'coons and 'possums I can deal with, but the birds can be a real pain. Of course it doesn't help that we have feeders that attract LOTS of visitors. :eek:

This is going to be an HO scale layout
When I first read that, well let's just say I was thinking you were a bit eccentric :D so I checked your location, and in your climate (with doubts) well ok. I take it this will be a point to point, or loop to loop layout along the top of that wall for 110'. How much width allowance do you have with the wall?
BTW I have a friend who lives in your area, but it's a big place.
Cheers Willis

I asked for others' recommendations when I thought about doing this myself a few years ago. The one thing that I never could see a solution for is the fact that you've got metal rails on plastic ties and the heat will destroy the track. And if your track can survive the heat, UV damage will make the plastic brittle in a short period of time. I was pretty bummed out to learn this, considering the size of my yard (I could model anything at full size if I wanted!), and I never got around to trying it out. However, I think I'll set some Bachmann EZ track outside and see what happens (hopefully the dog won't chew it up!).

Gee RC, never gets that hot around here, so I never thought of that aspect of backyard model rail. But you are correct if I recall my brother in laws description of his visit there. I also now remember Carl's statement of having to keep his cars under a canopy to protect the paint from the sun. If you are still determined Chris, put a length of flex track on top of that wall as a test first.
Cheers Willis

Well,
The yard where the cars are going to be stored is shaded by a bush most of the time. I might put a net over the yard. I don't have any flex trak currently, but I think I'll try and put some other track out there.
I'll keep you updated,
Chris Moore

You see Willis,
You know I'm still kind of determined but I'm still not sure if it will work. I know the railroad ballast will suvive during the winter, but I'm not so sure about the summer when the heat gets up and over the 100's. I still could do a railroad that folds up like a ping-pong table!
Thanks,
Chris Moore

Back