Found a couple photos of my Dad's layout, from 1956

Bob T

After my Mom passed in 2016, I started scanning all of my parents negatives and slides. Five years, and close to 6500+ photos later, I found these.

My Dad's railroad from 1956, in my Grandparents basement, which I never saw because I was born 1956. Shortly after, my parents bought their first, very small home, with no room for a train. (Or so I thought until I found photos from that small home. See post #13)

I was very pleased to find these.

And my Dad at his modeling bench about the same year.

Last edited:
After my Mom past in 2016, I started scanning all of my parents negatives and slides. Five years, and close to 6500+ photos later, I found these.

My Dad's railroad from 1956, in my Grandparents basement, which I never saw because I was born 1956. Shortly after, my parents bought their first, very small home, with no room for a train. So, like many of us, had to take it down.

I was very pleased to find these.

And my Dad at his modeling bench about the same year.
He's wearin' a watch that only tells the time! Where can I get one of those? Please!

He's wearin' a watch that only tells the time! Where can I get one of those? Please!
No battery, either. Just wind her up every day.

Thanks guys.

Dad tried pretty much everything, flying free flight, and u-control planes, static models of all kinds, miniature figures, remote control boats (in the early '60s even). We did slot cars when that was hot. A few years before he passed he built a simple 4x8 in HO, that really gave him a lot of fun.

I have a lot of his stuff from that last layout to use on mine.

After my Mom passed in 2016, I started scanning all of my parents negatives and slides. Five years, and close to 6500+ photos later, I found these.
Wow. How cool is that. My father's layout was like those photos, and had the fiber ties, brass rail, and Atlas hot frog turnouts that had to have the notch under the rail, but he put his directly on the plywood with no roadbed. I know of no pictures. Film was considered expensive back then and toy trains were not film worthy.

Last edited:
Dad started me out with 027 Lionel. I think he enjoyed it more then me at around 7 or 8 years old. That would have been around 1960. No pictures though. He would have loved to see what is available now and my layout.

great memories for you, congrats
TomO

Wow. How cool is that. My father's layout had the fiber ties, brass rail, and Atlas hot frog turnouts that had to have the notch under the rail, but he put his directly on the plywood with no roadbed. I know of no pictures. Film was considered expensive back then and toy trains were not film worthy.
Getting them developed weren't cheap either.

Found some more....These would be most likely 1958, in my parents first house.
The house was very small, but Dad still put together this little double loop setup.
I have picture of it placed next to the Christmas tree.

Oh....And the 4-4-0 General? I did find that in Dad's stuff.

She does need a little work though. Maybe put it on display on a dead siding...

Back