Foto fun Friday 1st June

Its been a lonnnnnnnng week Im glad the weekend is here, of to work in ten minutes but thought I would get myself in the mood for the weekend :)

NOt much modelling done this week but the camera has been out on the indoor and outdoor layout.

Indoor (it has rained alot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8hTyBMTcp0

Outdoor (I had one dry evening about 8pm when I got home from work)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMeSKt0EFKo

Most of my "railway time" has been on forums in the DCC section trying to decide if Im going to take the plunge and swap to DCC.

John
RJR

Hey its still Thursday here, for another 13 minutes!

But here she is!
hightower6.jpg

Great video John....Man your weather must be better than we have!...I always was amazed with what your doing outside...Great Job!!

Josh thats one AWESOME job!!...It has really turned out nice!..110%!

John nice video love how your mountain and tunnel lurned out . Josh that tower is awesome!!!

John nice bit of Virgin Cross country action
Josh That's a great result considering the complex design.

Well i hacked the glacier gravel Co to bit's and re built it with a hopper and ballast dispenser, i used scrap styrene which used to be a sign, an old RC servo converted to run as a normal geared motor to power the opening and closing of the dispenser, some brass and aluminium channel and hot glue.
First up was the ballast hopper in the roof

P5310119.jpg

next the dispenser was made from alloy channel with brass channel inside and two holes cut in to act as openings as you can see, the RC servo is located into a slotted piece of the channel soldered to the mechanism, the motor can rotate free, opening and closing as it goes
P6010131.jpg

ready for action
P6010135.jpg

filling in progress
P6010132.jpg

and the end result, Yeah, nice load
P6010133.jpg

just as we went to press i got a jam which broke away the motor mounting at one side so this will have to be beafed up, those servo's are VERY powerfull

Josh No Way did i beat Ken's coal loader, that was brilliant, i loaded 12 cars then the brackets gave way due to excessive torque from the servo. got to beef it up nd we'll be ready for some great fun. Another thing to di is wash the ballast through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of the nidley bits of dusty stuff, that's what caused the foul up i think.

Josh No Way did i beat Ken's coal loader, that was brilliant, i loaded 12 cars then the brackets gave way due to excessive torque from the servo. got to beef it up nd we'll be ready for some great fun. Another thing to di is wash the ballast through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of the nidley bits of dusty stuff, that's what caused the foul up i think.
Ahhh, well good luck fixing that baby!

Dito,,, That's one big picture for sure.

got the brackets fixed in OK and loaded 12 cars no problem, let the fun begin.

I'll give it a go but the quality's crap with no sound, watch this space.

Here we go, i'll be glad when i can get my winTV PVR to work so i can use my Sony Hi8 camcorder

Leaving

that'll do for now

Last edited by a moderator:
jbaakko, nice tower, that came out looking really nice.:) :cool:
Steve B, I like the ballast hopper.:D
mtrpls, That is one heck of a shot!!!:eek:

I don't have pictures just yet but my SD70MAC is almost finished. I'll prolly have pictures tomorrow sometime.

A great start to the weekend. What did you use for handrails on the tower, Josh? I need about 60" of 2 rail welded pipe style handrail, in HO, of course.

Who is the "Ken" and can those out of the loop see photos of his coal loadout?

What are you dumping to represent ballast, Steve B? How do you empty the cars? I plan to use crushed Walnut shells to model coal. Real coal is too heavy and messy.

I am asking because I love the animation part of this great hobby. I have a coal loadout I built from Evergreen styrene and a working rotary dumper from a Walthers kit. They are both inoperable at the moment because of the crazy hours at the new job, in a stop motion animation movie studio at that, and my favorite 4 year old. This is very inspiring and I should get up and go work on them! So I leave you with a photo from happier times for my loadout...
041203014.jpg

SD 70MACs 9526 and 9568 bring a train under the Myra loadout for another load of black diamonds. Since this photo was taken, a second track was added and the top of the loadout was painted. I added some paint and rocks to the scenery as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
CSX_road_slug built it into this New River Mining kit, if my knowledge serves me right, Ken you out there?

The railing is scale 2x2's. the ladder wells are individually cut where as the upper railing is one long strip glued to full height stanchions.

Back