Forum Software Vote

What forum software would you like to see the forum use?

• Move to Invision Community / IPBB [url]https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Once again, we're seeing warning and notices that the forum software has potential attacks. I have mitigated this issue to a large degree by using Sucuri to clean and monitor the site. However, it's turning into a game of whack-a-mole.

It appears that I have no option other than to move to an alternative forum software.

This poll is to ask you for your favorite forum software. I realize many of you won't have a favorite forum software program, but some of you visit other forums that use different programs. If you do, and you have one that you like, please cast a vote for it here. For various reasons, I cannot guarantee we'll use the winner, but it will be given serious consideration.

Also, please feel free to post comments regarding like and dislikes etc.

Have no idea what software what forums use.

Maybe for each choice a link to a page where we can see what it looks like or a link to a forum that uses that software?

You'll find links to all of them, and more, here. https://www.slant.co/topics/898/~best-web-forum-software-packages I've also added links above as you suggested.

All of the ones I'm considering are good packages, well respected and secure. It's the little things that differentiate one from another. Things like whether they have a "like" option, or will they re-size photos on the fly rather than making you do it prior to upload. I'll be comparing each one and seeing which features they offer.

However, some of the folks here have used other forums, and know the software well. Once you've 'lived with it" for a while, then you see what works well and what doesn't. But that would take some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, vBulletin 5 is out for me. I couldn't get the page to load... vBulletin 4 is going to become so hopelessly outdated and overwhelmed (as if it isn't now) it is going to become virtually unusable.
I've been on forums that use phbb, and it seems to work well.

I think the software should be chosen by the folks that have to build/ migrate and maintain the new site. Having said that I am a member on a forum that uses this http://ultrabb.net/

all I can say is that it seems very versatile and for us forum members it is easy to post and super easy to post photos...the bosses here might want to check it out and see if it’s a viable choice.

Gene

Well, vBulletin 5 is out for me. I couldn't get the page to load... vBulletin 4 is going to become so hopelessly outdated and overwhelmed (as if it isn't now) it is going to become virtually unusable.
I've been on forums that use phbb, and it seems to work well.

To be honest, Vbulletin is very, very unlikely to be the choice. I already own a license for VB5. I have for at least 5 years now, probably longer. It has always been a buggy resource hog that people hate. Unless they've fixed all the problems in the last two years, I don't see it being a viable option.

I think the software should be chosen by the folks that have to build/ migrate and maintain the new site.

I'll be running this past the IT department, server allocation and the head of PHP programming. That won't take long, they're all me! Granted, you are correct, the final choice will be determined by various factors including price, system requirements and features. However... If I've got two choices that are equally good, and forum members are strongly in favor of one of them, that would sway my decision. Also, it allows this scenario....

Having said that I am a member on a forum that uses this http://ultrabb.net/

all I can say is that it seems very versatile and for us forum members it is easy to post and super easy to post photos...the bosses here might want to check it out and see if it’s a viable choice.

Gene

... where you point out an option that I haven't considered and add it to my list.

I'm not tech savvy enough to offer any real insight. However, I am also a member over at RCGroups.com. Their forum is vey similar to this and they don't seem to have any issues, so you may want to see what they are using. Sorry I'm not more help.

Jim

Bob: Not for nothing, it's your choice, so choose what you feel is best for you. I checked the links, and Ultrabb.net appeared to be the one I considered most user friendly. Keep in mind, I'm not an IT guy so I tend to go for shiny objects.

If I might one point, the current hosting software makes it relatively easy to upload photos from my hard drive, without using third party hosting. We all know the saga of Photobucket. It's not a deal breaker, but a consideration that easy photo uploading be considered.

Thanks for reaching out for our comments.

Joe

Bob: Not for nothing, it's your choice, so choose what you feel is best for you. I checked the links, and Ultrabb.net appeared to be the one I considered most user friendly. Keep in mind, I'm not an IT guy so I tend to go for shiny objects.

If I might one point, the current hosting software makes it relatively easy to upload photos from my hard drive, without using third party hosting. We all know the saga of Photobucket. It's not a deal breaker, but a consideration that easy photo uploading be considered.

Thanks for reaching out for our comments.

Joe

Ideally, you will be able to upload multiple images, AND they will be re-sized by the forum software if needed. The rejection of images that are too large is an issue I hope to resolve.

I have no idea what the page should be replaced with. I can read descriptions of software until I fall asleep and still not have the correct vision of what it really does.
It's gonna have to be your choice based on your confidence in the system.

I have no idea what the page should be replaced with. I can read descriptions of software until I fall asleep and still not have the correct vision of what it really does.
It's gonna have to be your choice based on your confidence in the system.

I don't expect anyone to read the descriptions or try to figure out the tech specs, that's my job. However, I am open to comments like 'Hey, I visit modelboatforums too and they have some really nice software, check it out!"

I don't know of any other software to use as I'm only on here. But going off the suggestions already ultrabb has my vote.

Justin

Being 'puker ignorant , I've no idea. Whatever you choose,please let me in. The folks here are the best.

Phil aka Flip

I don't know enough about any of the forum software options to cast an informed vote, but I hope you will NOT end up doing the "Facebook Page" option. I haven't logged on with my Facebook account since the first few days after I created it 12 years ago, something about it just made me uncomfortable (maybe the incessant "friend requests" from strangers?). I really don't want to have to try to reactivate it.

It's the people and the culture of this forum that makes it my #1 choice. As long as that doesn't change, I can adapt to any of the other hosting engines you choose to go with.

I don't know enough about any of the forum software options to cast an informed vote, but I hope you will NOT end up doing the "Facebook Page" option.

The Facebook page is not a strong option. The best reason to use it is because it's free. However, there is also no possibility to generate any revenue, FB gets it all. Then again, I lose money each month with the current situation, so going to zero would actually be an improvement.

I voted for UltraBB - of those I'm familiar with it has the best "looking" user interface. As I commented in the other thread, I'm not a fan of phpBB, but it is usable. Whatever you do, don't consider Verticalscope. Another forum I use moved to it last year and I hate it. I think I've only posted once since the changeover and I now rarely stop by to see whats new. The other two forums I frequent regularly are still on VB4.

Vb5 was a disaster for a car forum I was on, and was part of the reason for it's demise. Not absolutely, but a major factor. I can't offer a choice, as I'm not familiar with the others mentioned.

I am really only familiar with that funny "xrenfo" (or whatever it's spelled)
It's the one used by the Frisco.org.
Seems to work pretty well.

Back