FORUM CLINIC: Building realistic scenery

dthurman said:
Thanks Joe! Wow is that stuff some $$$ but looks great, time to save up, hope for Xmas money I guess, though was hoping for subscription renewels ;)

For those on budgets, is there anything that is similar in the "real" world that might replicate the silflor? I understand the fur, was hoping maybe something else would fit that bill. I can see it might be a unique item though.

David:

That's why I recommend silflor only for small patches of grass or along the edges of a huge fake fur grass expanse. It economizes on the cost of Silflor and makes use of silflor where it looks the best.

Check out this link on my Siskiyou Line web site for an explanation/comparison of fake fur versus silflor: http://siskiyou.railfan.net/model/constructionNotes/silflor.html

I found that cutting individual tufts off scrap pieces and gluing them at the edges allows a realistic transtion.

obj35geo35pg1p33.jpg

obj41geo37pg1p33.jpg

This method allows individual clumps extending from the main mass of grass

It even disguises the thick underlayment on the plush felt I use for depicting the low California grass

obj18geo18pg1p33.jpg

Harold

I am responding to the texture post--behind aren't I? I see that you may have already answered my question. The area I am modeling will have green grass, however, the color is not a constant. I know I can cut the faux fir to different heights and add ground foam for texture, but how do you vary the color of the different species of grasses. I figured I'd do the air brush dusting with yellow like in the trees, but are there other techniques you would use?

With my method I found that going back and applying the Dye-na-flow color straight from the bottle on one's finger would vary the color of the grass

obj108geo108pg1p33.jpg

That was originally all one light yellow color

I have not experimented with greens but I am sure a variance in color is possible. What you see in my article and posts is what I have done. All this has been developed since November 2004. It is an all new area. I add new things on my website as the layout develops. Since I am doing central California the "golden" grass look is my focus. My 4x8 layout is a testbed for ideas to be used on the larger layout so the scenery tends to hodge-podge.

Harold

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip:

Airbrushing a light misting of color is good for a general color accent like the light yellow accent to simulate sunlight on the vegetation.

However, for more deliberate coloring, I usually brush in the color. This lets me get variations either in small areas or even specific spots. I control the intensity of the color by using dry brushing, or loading the brush with color.

I also like to mix a base color that's the same color as the base color of the grass, then get some other colors I want to use as a variation. I load the brush first with the base color, then dip the brush in a different color, and then mix it a bit on a paper towel, and finally brush it in.

By using all these brushing techniques, I can get just the effect I want since it gives me lots of control of the color variations.

By having the base color handy, if I don't like a color variation effect, I can subdue its effect with the base color, or even paint completely over it.

TOPIC THIS POST: From the ground up - Realistic bushes and ground cover

For bushes and other low ground cover I use four basic techniques. In all cases, I glue the bushes / ground cover in place with hot glue. The hot glue enables me to plant a bush and immediately move on. Do use some glove protection on the main hand you use to plant with because hot glue can cause very nasty burns if you don't protect yourself.

KingCreek.jpg

Finished scene, using the bushes and ground cover techniques described in this segment.

1. Woodload Scenics Foliage

This is the stuff that comes as ground foam bonded to a mesh netting. You can tear off chuncks, roll it up into a ball-like shape, and plant it with hot glue as an instant bush. It comes in 4 colors: light green, medium green, dark green, and conifer green. I use mostly the first three colors for bushes, with a preference for lots of light green, because that's the color many real bushes are as compared to trees. I only use conifer green once in a blue moon as foliage on background conifers.

2. Lichens and ground foam

Lichens has a form of branch structure that looks good under ground foam foliage. I typically spray the lichens a light tan or brown-gray, then hit it with spray adhesive and sprinkle on green ground foam, and it's ready to plant with the hot glue gun.

3. Horsetail foliage from Scenic Express (see note below)

Scenic's Express horsetail foliage is great stuff ... I love using it to model vines, blackberry bushes and the like. It has a nice leafy look, with the underside of the leaves being noticeably lighter than the upper side. This looks great in the foreground for low, vine-like growth. It also looks great growing up buildings and tree trunks where approriate. The stuff's a bit pricey, but you don't need use a lot of it to be effective. I have one mat of horsetail foliage that has lasted me for nearly two years on various scenery projects. I use hot glue to plant the horsetail foliage.

4. Scraps from Deciduous trees (see next topic post for details)

These look the best, because they have a nice branch armature under all those leaves. And when you're making deciduous trees using the techniques I'll be describing in the next post, you'll end up with some ratty looking trees now and then that can better live their life as a collection of bushes instead of one big ugly tree. Again, I use hot glue to plant these tree-scrap bushes.

Here's some photos showing the kinds of bushes and ground cover discussed here, and how they look in a scene close-up:

Texture3.jpg

And in case you can't figure out what is what, here's the same photo with everything labeled:

Texture4.jpg

Next, realistic deciduous trees you can make quickly and that don't cost you an arm and a leg.

NOTE: Scenic express sells a plethoria of great scenery products. Go to their website, click "About Us" and call their 1-800 number, asking for a catalog.

Their web site is: http://www.scenicexpress.com

Their catalog is simply amazing -- I keep one in the "reading room" just to thumb through and use for planning scenery projects. Much of the catalog is full color and it's like the "who's who" of model scenery products. If you are serious about doing good looking model railroad scenery, the Scenic Express catalog is one resource you don't want to be without. (No affiliation with them ... I just love their catalog as a resource).

NEXT TOPIC: From the ground up - Realistic deciduous trees F-A-S-T!

Thanks for the links Jeff. The catalog is not free to Canada,(Our Postal system) so the download links were great, I clicked on the over dinner one and it was there on my screen, so why not try the overnight.
Gee that didn't take a full minute for the (download overnight ) the full 196 pages at 10 Mbps, internet must be quiet tonight.

LOL I'm the only user on the cable node I'm connected too maybe that's why.

13.gif
Willis

Bonus topic: Sweatshirt Grass
One thing I mentioned in the last post, but didn't cover was how I made the sweatshirt grass. I got the technique from Railmodel Journal, January 1995 page 44.

Start with DAP Weldwood contact cement in a 3 oz bottle.
dap-00107.jpg

The stuff smells to high heaven, so be careful! Here's a link to an online source:
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=2054

I applied the contact cement, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then pressed down the sweatshirt material into the cement, fuzzy side down. Don't press it down too hard, you want to glue down the fuzz, but not the material backing.

Then I waited overnight, returned and ripped up the sweatshirt material, leaving behind all the fuzz. A light dusting of tan plaster-tempera powder, mist with water and voila! You get what you see in the photos in the last post called "sweatshirt grass".

As to the material, I purchased white sweatshirt material at Walmart in the fabric department and dyed it a nice golden yellow using Rit fabric dye.

NEXT TOPIC: From the ground up - Realistic deciduous trees F-A-S-T!

My favorite method for building great looking deciduous trees quickly involves a natural delicate plant Scenic Express calls "SuperTrees" and that Noch calls "Seafoam".

You can buy an entire small "tumbleweed" sized bush that will make 50+ trees from Scenic Express for $20. Call 1-800-234-9995 and ask for their catalog. It's a gold mine of scenery materials!

Also FCSME member Bill Carl and I have some similar techniques for making these trees -- see the FCSME website for one way to do supertrees: http://www.fcsme.org/bcarl/how_to_make_scenic_express_supertrees.htm

I pull sprigs from the raw tumbleed and throw them into a large bowl. Next, I dip the sprigs in a 1:7 matte medium solution, then hang the sprigs upside down to dry. Some sprigs have an unnatural curve to them ... while they are drying upside down, I will clip a clothes pin onto the end of these sprigs to pull them straight while they dry.

EasyTrees-05.jpg

Hanging supertrees to dry after dipping them in a matte medium solution to toughen them up.

The matte medium treatement helps a lot to stiffen and toughen up these delicate sprigs so they're more durable on your layout.

I let the sprigs dry overnight. I ususally do at least 50 sprigs at a time.

The next day, I take these sprigs down and stick them upright into styrofoam blocks usually 5-10 trees at a time. The next steps you need to do outside where there's plenty of ventilation. Do the following steps one right after the other without waiting for the paint to dry.

First, I spray the sprigs a tan or grey color using cheap spray paint.

Next, I lightly mist the sprigs with a hint of flat black. You just want to create a kind of shadow effect on the ends of the branches and the tree trunk. Most of the tan/grey color should still be showing.

Next, spray the sprig branch bodies (but not the trunk) with spray adhesive (like Elmer's spray adhesive shown here: http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID~984~categoryID~975.htm ) and sprinkle on medium green coarse ground foam. I don't worry too much about the exact color, since I control the exact color with later steps. Any medium green color will work.

EasyTrees-10.jpg

Sprinkling coarse medium green ground foam onto the painted supertree sprigs.

You can control how dense you make the tree foliage by how much adhesive you spray on and how much ground foam you sprinkle on. I generally try for at least some amount of see-thru look to the trees, so I don't get too agressive with the spray adhesive and the ground foam sprinking.

After the trees have their foam applied, now it's time to give them the proper coloration. I use craft spray paint of various green shades. A favorite of mine is Design Master Basil green (see: http://www.afloral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=535 ) -- this is a nice yellowish green that I think simulates the color of summer-time deciduous tree foliage for Maple, Ash, Alder, Elm and so on.

Oaks tend to have darker foliage, more like Design Master Hunter Green. Avoid painting the trunk part of the tree ... keep to the foliage area with the spray paint. If you do happen to get a bit of green onto the lower tree trunk, don't fret. Moss and green "mildew" are not uncommon on real tree trunks.

Then to finish, I'll take a pale yellow spray paint and mist it lightly onto the tree from above to simulate the effect of sunlight on the foliage.

And there you go -- your trees are ready to plant!

EasyTrees-14.jpg

As you can see, these trees look absolutely great, and they take mere minutes to produce!

Once you've prepared the sprigs overnight with the matte medium solution, you can crank out finished trees 5-10 at a whack in just a few minutes time. And to top it off, they look *great*. I use this technique for most of the decidious trees on the Siskiyou Line and they look wonderful. Like this:

Silflor1.jpg

To plant these trees, I use a small sharp awl to poke holes in my soft vermiculite plaster scenery, put a dab of hot glue on the end of the tree trunk and poke it down into the hole.

NEXT TOPIC: From the ground up - Realistic conifer trees F-A-S-T!

NEXT TOPIC: From the ground up - Realistic conifer trees F-A-S-T!

My favorite technique for making lots of good looking conifer trees fast is to use a variation on the bottle brush tree technique I got from Dennis Brown of Chico, CA. Dennis's techniques are described in great detail in the March 1997 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. I first learned these techniques directly from Dennis at a PCR convention in 1995.

Another favorite technique of mine for making highly detailed foreground fir trees is the methods used by Pete Vassler of Canyon Creek Scenics ( see http://www.canyoncreekscenics.com/frm_supplies.htm for a great tree kit with instructions ), however, these trees take more time to build and are best left to the onesy-twosey foreground trees ... not entire forests unless you have lots of time -- or money. I'm sure Pete would be glad to sell you a small fortune in trees if you're so inclined! ;)

Anyhow, back to the Dennis Brown conifer tree technique that I use for my general "conifer forest" tree construction.

Get yourself a variable speed drill, a couple of spring clamps. Take a finishing nail, bend it into a hook shape, and chuck one end of it into the variable speed drill so you can hook onto the central wire of these conifers and give them a good spin with the drill.

Okay, on to making the trees themselves.

Start with electric fence wire (it's soft galvanized steel wire about 16-18 guage or so), bend it into a hairpin U shape, the length of your tree you want to make, plus about 30%. When you twist the wire later, you will lose about 1/3rd of the length, so remember to account for that.

EasyTrees-16.jpg

Tree trunk wire shaped like a huge hairpin, with an L bend in the end.

Then take some sisal rope ( http://doityourself.com/store/6431225.htm ), cut it into chunks about 3" long, and separate the rope completely into its smallest hairlike individual strands.

Lay out some half-inch masking tape sticky side up the length of the tree, then distribute the minute sisal rope hair-like strands along the length of the tape. You can get different densities of tree by how many sisal strands you use and how much you clump the strands.

Lay the tape inside the hairpin-shaped wire U, clamp the open end of the U-wire to a table with the spring clamp, hook the loop end of the wire U with the finishing nail hook you chucked into the drill and spin away! In a few moments, this will spin the wire tight and make a real bottle-brush shape.

EasyTrees-21.jpg

Clamp the L end to a board and hook the wire hook bit into the other end and spin!

Unclamp the bottle-brush and trim it to a christmas tree like cone shape with scissors. The most natural looking conifers are not perfect, so trim the tree inevenly, snip out spots almost down to the trunk, and so on.

Plant your newly trimmed conifer bottle-brush upright into a strip of styrofoam. I keep making these raw bottle-brush trees until I have 5-10 of them planted into a strip of styrofoam.

From here on out, the steps are nearly identical to the steps used for the deciduous trees.

Spray paint the trunks gray or tan and highlight lightly with flat black.

In order to get the right foliage texture for conifers, when applying the foam, first spray adhesive on the bare bottle-brush tree and sprinkle on dark green coarse ground foam (similar to what is done for the decidious trees).

EasyTrees-29.jpg

Trees with their first coat of ground foam ... the coarse ground foam. Lightly sprinkle on fine ground foam next.

However, conifer needles generally are much finer that the broad leaves of decidious trees, so after applying the coarse ground foam, spray the tree again lightly with spray adhesive and sprinkle on fine dark green ground foam.

The coarse ground foam gives the tree body, but the fine ground foam gives it the proper texture contrast to decidious trees.

Spray with craft paint to establish the actual tree color ... for conifers I prefer Design Master Moss green (see: http://www.afloral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=535 ).

Instead of using light yellow to highlight the conifers' darker foliage, highlight the conifers with Design Master Basil green (see: http://www.afloral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=535 ).

As before, to plant these trees, I use a small sharp awl to poke holes in my soft vermiculite plaster scenery, put a dab of hot glue on the end of the tree trunk and poke it down into the hole.

Dennis actually would take these bottle brush trees and stick them into bare tree trunks so the bottle brush formed the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the tree and leave the bare trunk to form the lower part of the tree. However, I prefer the Canyon Creek Scenics' method for trees with trunks showing because they look much more natural. I use the bottle brush trees for conifers that have foliage going all the way to the ground -- mostly large stands of trees between the tracks and the background.

SlaterCreek.jpg

A finished scene with bottle brush conifers. Notice the foreground conifers with trunks, as per Dennis Brown's technique described above.

NEXT TOPIC: Doing realistic rock faces

Bonus Topic: More on powdered colors

Linn Westcott's ZIP texturing popularized by MR in the 1960s used dry powdered colors as opposed to powdered tempera paint. The dry powdered colors don't darken as much when you use them to color the plaster. However, tempera paint is much easier to find at craft stores or in the craft section of Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc.

The tempera paint - plaster mix darkens considerably when you wet it, that's why its good to test it first. Ideally, you are comparing it to a photo you have under your layout lights. This way, you'll get a color that's dead on for what you are trying to model, and that's not too dark.

Because of the normal standing viewing distance to our models, it's like looking at the prototype from hundreds of feet away. The colors are slightly more muted at that distance. Add to that the far dimmer indoor lighting, and you need to definitely lighten your scenery colors for it to look like the real out-of-doors even though its inside.

That's one of the "secrets" of the realistic scenery on the Siskiyou Line. The colors are kept light, which makes the layout look larger and feel like it's in the "great outdoors".

Here's a photo that shows the light colors and the "open spaces" look of the Siskiyou Line. All on an HO layout where the deck here is perhaps 24" wide!

NorthUmpqua.jpg

Bonus topic: Lighting a multideck layout

Getting good layout lighting will make your scenery look better, so let's disgress for a moment and discuss how to get good layout lighting.

The lower deck of a multideck layout can get mighty dark if you don't install extra lighting for that deck. Here's what I use to light the upper and lower decks on my Siskiyou Line:

lights08.jpg

(the scenery in this photo is unnaturally dark so the light sockets show up with less lighting glare)

Leviton porcelain surface socket, they're called. Here's a link to them on the internet:
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/30540/icn/20-066092/leviton/001_9880.htm

And if you want to read more about them, I discuss them here on my web site:
http://siskiyou.railfan.net/model/constructionNotes/lighting.html

I also discuss multideck layout lighting in volume 2 of my Siskiyou Line video series. Model-trains-video.com distributes the Siskiyou Line videos, see: http://model-trains-video.com

I use 15 watt and 25 watt incandescent bulbs on my layout, and these low wattage bulbs look great, can be dimmed, and don't generate much excess heat -- unlike higher wattage incandescent bulbs. In fact, after a 15 watt bulb has been on for several hours, I can grasp it with my hand and it's only warm to the touch. You try that with higher wattage incandescents and you'll give yourself a nasty burn!

Recently, I've also been experimenting with compact florescents lights (CFLs). I have found some Microbrite CFLs that use 2 watts(!) per bulb, put out the equivalent of what a 25 watt incandescent bulb puts out, and are dimmable!

Currently, my entire layout lighting takes about 2800 watts, but with these new bulbs, the total wattage of the lights would drop to a mere 200 watts! However, these bulbs also cost about 10 times the cost of a 25 watt incandescent bulb -- but they do last about 20 times longer. So they seem to be very cost effective, if you can afford the high initial cost. Here's the link if you'd like to know more: http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=9229

Hi Joe, wow have I some catching up to do. I came across some limbs of bushes on the back of a pickup while I was in town yesterday. They looked like they would make nice tree armatures. The lady explained her task for that day was to prune the bushes and said they were called "Honey Suckle". Did you ever hear of using that for trees? I asked her if it was ok to take some. she said yes, so I put a load in the trunk of my car. It's Kind of busy around here and theres a model rail show tommorow and I'll be at that. I can take a couple of photo's of the stuff tomorow and post them. I like this whole series but haven't had the time to try some of it yet. I was in our Wal-Mart today, finaly found the Faux Fur, there were two packs, amazing but they were black in color so I left them there. Loooks like I have some reading to do, catch you later.
Oh! I was looking at some of those bulbs today, I noticed they had them up to the equiv. of 60W incandecent, I'll buy a couple to try out, I didn't know they could be dimmed, that's a plus.
13.gif
Willis

I'm taking a different tack - since I'm not going multideck, I'm putting in six surface mount fixtures with 75w equivalent CFL "bulbs."

Powering them is a bit different - the garage that I'm turning into my trainroom is attached to the side of the manufactured home I live in. So the door from the house was originally designed as an outside door - complete with outside light.

So I'm going to screw one of those gadgets that includes two plugs and a light socket into that socket, and run wires from the plugs to the lights. The nicest part of it is that I'll be able to turn on the lights in the room before I even open the door...

I've already got two lower power fixtures that were installed by the previous occupants, and they provide quite a bit of lighting all on their own. The 6 75W fixtures will probably be partial overkill - and make photography easy.

CBCNSfan said:
Oh! I was looking at some of those bulbs today, I noticed they had them up to the equiv. of 60W incandecent, I'll buy a couple to try out, I didn't know they could be dimmed, that's a plus.

Willis

Willis:

Not all CFL's can be dimmed. They need to say "dimmable", and they'll cost at least $10 each if they are dimmable. Anything cheaper will be either off or on -- no in-between.

Honestly this is getting ridiculous, this is my third try at posting a reply. 1 Post didn't post, 2 windows shut down so it wouldn't hurt my computer (just as ridiculous) OK! here goes again :mad: :mad: :mad:
They need to say "dimmable", and they'll cost at least $10 each
Hi Joe, I didn't read the package info. They cost about $5,88 US each so I take it they are the on/off type. It rainned quite hard here today so when I returned from a rather dissapointing model train show I didn't get any photos of the Honeysuckle branches. If they look like they will make good armatures, I guess I'll have to visit the lady with my prunning shears. :D
other than two well done N scale displays, there wasn't alot to look at other than the trees so I set out to find out as much as I could about the materials for making them. I also learned some of the things I don't wan't to copy
I have to admit previously didn't know the difference between foilage material and ground foam so it wasn't a wasted day. One material I didn't get an answer on was, deciduous leaves, well it looked like parsley sprinkled on the foilage material. Is this another type of foilage material seperate from the real fine stuff? :confused:
Photo attached to show what I mean.
13.gif
Willis

Willis:

I know Scenery Express carries Noch decidious foliage material that is small flakes to look more like leaves.

But as you can see from my scenery photos, coarse ground foam on Supertree sprigs looks pretty good, even up close.

The decidious trees in your photo look kind of dense, and the trunks look very rich chocolate brown. The brown of the trunks doesn't look real natural, since most tree trunks in nature tend to be gray brown, tan, or dark gray in color.

The foliage on the trees also needs to be more see-through. With supertrees and coarse ground foam, you can control how dense you make the foliage. I always try to make it at least somewhat see-through.

The conifers, however, look pretty interesting in the photo you took ...

The decidious trees in your photo look kind of dense, and the trunks look very rich chocolate brown. The brown of the trunks doesn't look real natural, since most tree trunks in nature tend to be gray brown, tan, or dark gray in color.
Hi Joe, yes, for the past week, while walking our dog I've been studying the trees (other sides of the road) it's a wooded area and I'm seeing things I've never noticed before. For instance deciduous trees in the upper branches are angled from the trunk from 45 to 30 deg. The foliage in fact is quite sparse. It's only that they are surrounded by other trees that foliage appears to be thick. The lower branches on the oldest trees appears to angle from the trunk at much less than the 45 deg a sort of flattening out to 90 deg. The conifers are some what a different story, the angles are much greater on most to actually drooping on the older ones. pines have no resemblance to spruce and not all spruce are the same then there's the Tamarack which looks like an evergreen only it's not
Ok here are two experiments I had done a few years ago and I will re try them again using the ground foam which I have lots of now.
OK the first pic is three handmade pines from Graphic Studios (they look more like black spruce to me); on the left in the second pic is a weed I dipped in paint (most likely sprayed this one) and sprinkled with dyed sawdust since its at least 3 years old there is some promise for background scenery. The next pic on the left of the three conifers, is a tree made with skewer and fibre glass from a furnace filter. Not the whole filter thickness, but just the outer layer (netting) cut in circles, sprayed with paint and a bit of ground foam sprinkled on. This I'm looking seriously at, however with much more attention to the shape of a conifer tree. Considering the time to make these, they would be only used in the foreground. Also planned for this winter's work will be a mess of conifers made the way you describe in this clinic.

13.gif
Willis

Willis:

Hey, I like the photos. Those are some pretty nice looking conifers.

One trick I've learned with texture on conifers is to apply a thin coat of fine ground foam on top of any coarser ground foam to get a better "conifer needles" look, and to distinguish them from the coarser leaves of decidious trees.

But your conifers in these photos look pretty good!

Back