airport1246

Station Agent
I was recently working on my railroad, a 4x8 modelling Chicago Union Station. I currently don't have a loop of track to run trains, which is fine, because passenger cars don't look good on tight curves. But, I want to do more than run trains from one end of the layout to another. My current plan is to add a fold up 1.5'x4' section on one of the 4' ends of my layout to add a curve that will lead to staging (see graphic). What do you think? Has anyone done this before? Any tips/ideas? I have never worked with a fold up section before. Thanks in advance for the help:) (NOTE the picture is a VERY rough rep. of my layout. I didn't draw details, to save time.)

Hmm, why the fold up section? You can't use the space? I guess you could just add some door hinges for the section.

Also, how do you plan to reach the staging area? Is this table going to be moveable, so you can have access to all sides?

Are there any other areas that you can use, along that wall?

Hmm, why the fold up section? You can't use the space? I guess you could just add some door hinges for the section.

Also, how do you plan to reach the staging area? Is this table going to be moveable, so you can have access to all sides?

Are there any other areas that you can use, along that wall?

There is about a 3ft gap between the table and wall, so I have room for an aisle to reach the staging yard. Also, the unused part of the 4x8 has models and cityscape on it, again I just didn't put it on the picture, to save time.

OK well then your staging yard can be like 1' wide, and then you'll have a 2' isle to reach it. No problem there.

What I was aluding to was, why does the section on the top have to fold down? Is that space unusable?

Another idea, if you can use that space along the wall on the top side, you could add a track there and create a wye so you can turn your trains around.

Something like this:

track.JPG

OK well then your staging yard can be like 1' wide, and then you'll have a 2' isle to reach it. No problem there.

What I was aluding to was, why does the section on the top have to fold down? Is that space unusable?

Another idea, if you can use that space along the wall on the top side, you could add a track there and create a wye so you can turn your trains around.

Something like this:

track.JPG

The only reason it has to fold down is to allow a walkway to get to the shelves, and freezer that are across from the section. The wye is a great idea. I never thought of a way to turn trains around.

Going forward on Motley's drawing, why not connect the staging area back to the 4x8 at the bottom end and complete the loop?
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by a moderator:
Going forward on Motley's drawing, why not connect the staging area back to the 4x8 at the bottom end and complete the loop?

I thought about that, but it would have to be another fold up, and it would block all access to that end of the layout. Also, union station is a terminus, so in following that theme, those tracks are also terminating, so there would be no place to connect to.

If you go with the wye, you will have a reversing section. Depend on if you use DCC or just DC?, you will need an auto reversing unit. And you have to isolate the reversing section with gaped rails. It's really easy to do though.

For DC http://www.model-railroad-resources.com/members-wiring-wye-tutorial.html

For DCC http://www.a19modelrailwayclub.org/dccworkshop4.php

It's just plain DC for me! Now that I think about it more, realistically, trains DO back into CUS, so the wye is not necessary, but still an option.

It's been nigh onto sixty years since I went through Union Station (as a kid, riding to downstate Illinois to visit my grandparents), but I though there was a runaround track somewhere to avoid having to wye unit trains like the earlier Zephyrs. Might be wrong... Been awhile, as I said. Obviously, you can only model one side of the station, as there were another set of tracks terminating on the opposite end of the building. Be great to see pictures.

It's been nigh onto sixty years since I went through Union Station (as a kid, riding to downstate Illinois to visit my grandparents), but I though there was a runaround track somewhere to avoid having to wye unit trains like the earlier Zephyrs. Might be wrong... Been awhile, as I said. Obviously, you can only model one side of the station, as there were another set of tracks terminating on the opposite end of the building. Be great to see pictures.

Yes, you are correct. There is one or two through tracks on the east end of the platforms. I am modelling the southern platforms, so I can model the chicago coach yard.

*CHANGE OF PLANS*
I tried to use my original plan, only to find out that the passenger cars won't even handle 24" curves. So my new plan involves putting a backdrop along the fold-up, and just having 2 fold up fiddle tracks behind it to work with. Not what I wanted, but it will have to do. :mad: (see picture)

Just curious...why can't your passenger cars take a 24" radius curve? While they certainly look better on wide radius curves, I have been able to run 85 scale foot cars on even 18" radius. The only thing you have to give up is tight coupling and contact between the diaphragms between cars. Also, there are problems backing these cars if you keep truck-mounted couplers. Body-mount the couplers and keep a bit of gap between the diaphragms and you could easily make 22" and possibly 20" (Shinohara makes sectional track in 20" radius).

Just a thought...

Back