Foam Question

B

bobaloo000

The foam my local Home Depot in NJ had was InsulFoam (sp) by Dow. It is white with a blue plastic sheet on one side and silver on the other. Has anyone else used this and do I need to remove the plastic covers? It looks like the stuff they used in the World's Greatest Hobby DVD.

Thanks.

Not sure about that type. the stuff I've used is blue only, but made by Dow. It has a thin clear plastic sheet on one or both sides that does need to be removed.

If either side's layer looks different or is of a different material, I would remove it. Then when/if you cut it, it won't show up as a stripe thru your landscape.

I called Loews and they have the pink, but only in 2x8 foot sheets. Can I duck tape them together?

Can I duck tape them together
Why? I suppose you could, but you can glue them together without any problem for a much neater job. I just use the yellow carpenters glue I get in gallon jugs, but the white works well also.
Cheers

I would be careful here. Make sure you use EXTRUDED not EXPANDED insulation board. Dow's extruded polystyrene is typically blue in color while Owen-Corning's extruded polystyrene is typically pink. White insulation is typically expanded polystyrene and should not be used. It will not hold up over time and you will regret using it.

Insulfoam is an expanded foam board made by Premier Industries. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.premier-industries.com/insulfoam.cfm

David

Make sure you use EXTRUDED not EXPANDED insulation board.
That is very good advice from David. The only expanded foam we have around here is white, both the pink and blue from our sources are extruded. The extruded foam is very tough and is used closing in the framework on exterior walls of buildings. The expanded foam does not have all that much strength and breaks quite easily and is used only for it's insulating qualities. I do use the expanded foam when making hills on the layout, much the same way as a cardboard web for shaping the terrain. When the plaster and cloth shell hardens it makes no difference if the foam deteriorates or not. :D
Cheers Willis

I love the fact that the pink stuff comes in 2x8 sizes - because it means I don't have to cut it in half!

I've got a shelf-type layout, and that fact was enough to convince me to go with foam instead of a cookie cutter approach.

I got all the blue stuff I wanted by visiting local construction sites. ASK it you can have their scraps, most will say yes, and then politely thank them......

kenw said:
I got all the blue stuff I wanted by visiting local construction sites. ASK it you can have their scraps, most will say yes, and then politely thank them......

Now that's the way to do it. Would imagine a lot of it is wasted at construction sites.

I bought that white bead board at the Home Depot a few days ago and is holding fine since I'm just using it as a "table top". I have pics to post later.

Back