Florida Railroad Bunch

At one time long ago my family came from Alabama & then they ended up in Kentucky & Indiana & me in South Florida.

Larry
Larry, I was born in Clinton, Indiana, raised in Kentucky and Alabama, but only play in Florida....so far.:D

Larry, I was born in Clinton, Indiana, raised in Kentucky and Alabama, but only play in Florida....so far.:D

I was born in Evansville, Ind. & have lived in Fla. all my life except the time I was in the Navy. My mom & dad was born in Kentucky & moved to Fla. in 1939 when I was a year old. Almost all my kin folk lives in Henderson, Ky. & some live in Indiana & some in Parrish, Fl. & a few in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Larry

I was born in Evansville, Ind. & have lived in Fla. all my life except the time I was in the Navy. My mom & dad was born in Kentucky & moved to Fla. in 1939 when I was a year old. Almost all my kin folk lives in Henderson, Ky. & some live in Indiana & some in Parrish, Fl. & a few in Bowling Green, Ohio. Larry

My parents were born and raised near Evansville and my remaining Aunt lives there now. All my cousins live in surrounding towns: Mt Vernon, Winslow, Poseyville, etc. When I was six, we moved from Clinton (near Terre Haute) to Owensboro for several years, then Providence, near Madisonville. Providence played Henderson High once in football and got slaughtered, 55-0 :eek:. As a Freshman, I got to play the last quarter and Henderson had a High School All-American running back named Tommy Glover. He came running through the line and I hit him with my all....BAD MISTAKE...ever been hit by a bulldozer! I hurt just thinking about it:D. The following year (1960) we moved to Tuscaloosa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where Arcadia is Larry but I live just west of Gainesville. My neighbors are deer, fox, pigs and lots of Turkeys. Oh yea and a butt-load of squirrels. I guess I should stop feeding them.

Terry in Florida

Larry
Ironic, I just moved back up from Naples a week ago. I had to kill four Cotton mouths in two weeks on the front porch and one of my dogs got a nip from a gator in our front yard. So I packed up my dogs and RR stuff and moved back up to the safety of Gainesville.

Terry in Florida

Not sure where Arcadia is Larry but I live just west of Gainesville. My neighbors are deer, fox, pigs and lots of Turkeys. Oh yea and a butt-load of squirrels. I guess I should stop feeding them.

Terry in Florida

Do you live closer to Ocala or Gainsville? I have a butt load of squirrels too, but a lot more possums, racoons & armadillos to deal with. I've been here since 1971 & I use to see Panthers, Deer, lots of Rattlesnakes & a few xtra large white owls, but since a lot of houses have been built since I moved here those animals are far & few. Use to have a RR about 200 ft. from my house, but, that's gone too.

Larry

Larry
Once I get on I-75 its about 35 miles to Ocala. Used to have our horses boarded there. However it takes about 35ish minutes to get to the interstate from the house. Actually I live about 10 miles north of Trenton off of CR47.

G/V is about a 40ish minute drive from the house toward the east. We have a tree of owls just outside the bedroom window. They are better then Roosters. They get to Hootin around about 5 am most mornings.

Terry in Florida

*Larry, The FRoG is growing!

*Welcome Aboard jayl1, I'm a hour(Depends on traffic on us19) north of you! Have you Heard of a LHS called Dana's Trains? They have monthly Train swap meets!!! I'm a mile from that!

*Terry my SIL lives up that way off cr44 in inverness I do believe...Also welcome aboard the FRoG!

*Larry, The FRoG is growing!

*Welcome Aboard jayl1, I'm a hour(Depends on traffic on us19) north of you! Have you Heard of a LHS called Dana's Trains? They have monthly Train swap meets!!! I'm a mile from that!

I had a shop in Reading, PA for a few years before moving south - actually almost across the street from the Reading Railroad main shops. I closed my shop in FL in 2007 - will be doing the Tampa show this weekend - look for a pile of books & Atlas engines & Bowser cars. (Look for Outer Station Publishing). That will be me.

I heard of Dana's but was never there. What's with the monthly meets??
Jay

Jay,
I'll be at the Tampa show this saturday as a spectator/buyer. Be standing in line. Takes me 2 hrs. to get there from here.
My pics in my public profile section.
I'll be wearing a Ginn Chevrolet cap w/Walmart buttons on it.
Larry

*jay, the swap meets are on diffrent saturdays, They had one this past Saturday. I'll try to find out!

*Larry, I wish I had the cash to go this weekend! The sad thing is when the growing season is up and running time becomes factor then....LOL's

Tampa was not - IMHO - a great show. Seemed to be the same iteme & dealers from the summer show in Clearwater. Slow sales & I din't buy anything.

I didn't buy anything either, but, I did meet Jay. He hollered at me 1st.
I was walking around looking for him & he said he saw the GAP tee shirt I had on & asked if I was Larry.:) He had a bunch of stuff on all those tables from his Hobby Shop in Pa. I didn't see hardly anyone buying anything.
There was a lot of N-S-O & G scale & some super layouts & thousands of people. Not much HO this time & hardly any used stuff like a swap meet needs.
This show was more for dealers & less for the everyday model railroader.
Our next good show is in Palmetto in Feb. & the Plant City meet in March.

Larry:D

I didn't buy anything either, but, I didn't meet Jay. He hollered at me 1st.
I was walking around looking for him & he said he saw the GAP tee shirt I had on & asked if I was Larry.:) He had a bunch of stuff on all those tables from his Hobby Shop in Pa. I didn't see hardly anyone buying anything.
There was a lot of N-S-O & G scale & some super layouts & thousands of people. Not much HO this time & hardly any used stuff like a swap meet needs.
This show was more for dealers & less for the everyday model railroader.
Our next good show is in Palmetto in Feb. & the Plant City meet in March.

Larry:D

Depending on.... availble $$, If lawns need to be mowed, and the wife let's ryan and i go.....we'll Try to make one of the two:)

I think with all the new Florida members we need another Florida Rail Gang or (FRoG) Roll call! So all Floridians give a shout out so we can get a Head count....

I'm in Spring Hill, 60 min. north of TIA or 1.5 hours north on US 19 from HR trains!

Captain Harley here, I was born in Tampa, raised in Orlando and have retired to Ridge Manor, FL.

Back