Floquil is gone... what would you use?

toonsign

Good evening,

30 years ago I used the Floquil paints for weathering my structures but it appears they are no longer in business. I use mostly the roof brown, black and grey. Paints were used as a stain and not painted - I like my buildings to look at leats100 years old - and am hoping to get a few opinions as what may work for me.

I still have about 30 bottles, mostly unopened, of various colors but some have dried out over the years but I think that lacquer thinner may make them workable. I was going to toss 'em but my wife said try to sell them on Ebay.

Up north we had a hardware store called Grossmans (now out of business) and they had a stain used for weathering barnwood. Worked perfect for weathering for me.

Any thoughts?

Fred
Melbourne FL
USMC Retired

Scalecoat Paints I and II are available from Minute Man Scale Models, they are a solvent based paint, similar to Floquil, and Trucolor. http://www.minutemanscalemodels.com I have not tried these paints, as after Testor's made the huge mistake of removing Floquil from the market, I have switched to Acrylic paints and really like Microlux and Acrylicos Vallejos acrylic paints for brushing. Don't have and don't need an airbrush and all their required Accoutrements!

Fred, I was a die hard fan of Floquil years ago when I was doing a lot of custom painting. I hadn't cranked up the air brush for years until I recently wanted to custom paint an A-B-A set of F units for the Northern Pacific North Coast Limited. I had some Stewart units that were decorated for the NP, but both green colors were wrong. After a bit of searching I tried Tru-Color paint. They have an extensive list of colors and the light and dark green were spot on.

No thinning is needed. You can use it right out of the bottle for an air brush. I was extremely happy with the results.

20171118_140633.jpg

A perfect match for the Walthers cars that were painted in the Lowey paint schems.

I would recommend Tru Color to anyone. I would also use their thinner. http://trucolorpaint.com/

Fred, I was a die hard fan of Floquil years ago when I was doing a lot of custom painting. I hadn't cranked up the air brush for years until I recently wanted to custom paint an A-B-A set of F units for the Northern Pacific North Coast Limited. I had some Stewart units that were decorated for the NP, but both green colors were wrong. After a bit of searching I tried Tru-Color paint. They have an extensive list of colors and the light and dark green were spot on.

No thinning is needed. You can use it right out of the bottle for an air brush. I was extremely happy with the results.

View attachment 27811

A perfect match for the Walthers cars that were painted in the Lowey paint schems.

I would recommend Tru Color to anyone. I would also use their thinner. http://trucolorpaint.com/

Thank you for the link to Tricolor. Think I'll give them a try once I get my stuff unpacked.

Fred

Back