Floquil Diosol Formula?

AleranM

I've got a few old bottles of the Floquil paints that are still good, but my Diosol thinner is running out. So I'm trying to make some more.

A couple years ago, I found an old article on www.Kitforums.com that had a formula for making Diosol. It was created by an old model railroad guy, whose name escapes me. If I recall, he had apparently known some of the floquil people, and he provided a formula to make Diosol. It used Xylene, Toluene, and Floquil Retarder......maybe something else like glaze. I have xylene, toluene, floquil retarder and glaze, but I didn't write down the actual ratios, and now the webpage (which I had saved) has been removed. Did anyone happen to save the info on that thread?

I have read that many use the old floquil with lacquer thinner, xylene, or toluene straight. However the drying time is extremely fast when spraying, so I think the retarder/glaze is used to combat this. I just don't know the proper ratios, which were in this old forum post. Hence my request.

thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
Just be advised that toluene has been determined (not sure by who) to be a potential carcinogen, and xylene may not be much different. Main thing is to use it in a well-ventilated area and avoid much skin contact. IIRC, the solvent's name was changed from Diosol to just plain Thinner. Don't know if they altered the formula or not.

Just be advised that toluene has been determined (not sure by who) to be a potential carcinogen, and xylene may not be much different. Main thing is to use it in a well-ventilated area and avoid much skin contact. IIRC, the solvent's name was changed from Diosol to just plain Thinner. Don't know if they altered the formula or not.

Yes, I'm aware of that and good ventilation is a must have! I've got a great exhaust fan in my workshop to vent fumes. I like to keep my brain cells intact!

Back