Flextrack on plywood ?

DALDEI

In my layout I'm going to have a significant amount of 'hidden' track I expect to just use flextrack for. This is going to be on plywood strips ("cookie cutter") and is for going up a 2% grade behind the scenes. I was wondering if I need any roadbed for this or if just nailing/tacking/gluing the flextrack to plywood would work fine. I've been using Cork roadbed and love that, but if its all hidden do I really need it ? From my reading the roadbed seems to be for looks and sound. Is a train really that noisy on plywood ? Is there other reasons I should put down some kind of roadbed above the plywood for hidden or staging tracks that are not normally visible ?

Thanks for any suggestions !

You are correct about track directly on wood being noisey. Just my opinion based on my previous layout is if the hidden track will be a storage track the noise might not be a big deal. On the other hand if it is run a through as part of the main the noise will get to be a distraction very quickly depending on the weight of the engines and cars and the speed along with any joint noise. It is understandable why you don't want to add any more than needed for something that won't be seen but at the least I'd lay down some cork roadbed. It isn't expensive and goes down quickly. Another thing I'd add is strips of Masonite or something like that about 2 inches high on either side of the plywood strips in case something decides to leave the rails. These guard strips can be installed with carpenter's wood glue and C- clamps to hold them until dry. Murphy's Law and gravity will prevail in the least accessible place. ;)

No, you don't really need it, but I'd recommend you use it. With the typical grades of plywood used for benchwork, it's not smooth or level. Using a subroadbed allows you to level the track with shims, or sanding down the high spots. The fact that you'll be laying the track on a hidden grade is all the more reason to make sure it's perfect. Cork is not expensive, and having hidden track on a grade that's not smooth and level will give you no end of problems.

Get some Homasote. It is a compressed paper board, used in the construction industry. A good lumber yard should have it. If they say "Well, we have something similar to that...." DON'T buy it. Insist on brand name Homasote. Get it in 1/2" thick sheets and put that on top of the plywood. It is soft enough so that you can push track nails into it with a pair of needle nose pliers, but it has enough 'grip' to hols the nails securely. Around here a 4x8 sheet is around $23. You can cut it with a hand saw or saber saw, but it makes a lot of dust doing so, so wear a good respirator and don't spare the shop vac!
http://www.homasote.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. I experimented with Homasote and just dont like it. It makes too much dust even sanding it, and when gluing changes consistancy and (personal oppinion) I dont like it. I like cork though. I can see the advantages of Homasote because of its flexability in useage (easily cut, molded etc), I just hated working with it !

Thanks though !

another option for yards and hidden tracks would be sheets of cork. It is thinner so it gives less noise reduction, but it does make a huge difference in noise transmission. It comes in rolls for bulletin boards or making auto gaskets. You can get it at (duh) auto parts stores or craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

Many times in the past I used sheets of bulletin board cork. This can be found in the stationary dept at Wal-Mart. It's slightly thinner than the cork used under the track. It can be easily cut to size and is inexpensive. I usually got the 4" squares that came 6 or 8 to a package

For hidden track you can also use sill gasket, a thin foam strip used as underlay for framing houses. Our club used it for roadbed throughout the layout, but I'd use it in hidden track only.
It's free around here when the wind blows.

Well seeing 90% of my past industrial switching layouts(ISL) track was laid directly on the ply I would say go ahead and lay your track on the ply.

As far as noise well there should be a insufficient amount and on the bright side you will know if your train is moving or has stopped.

Back