Flat MOW Load

NYC_George

Way back when in the 70's I was called to cover a work train out of North White Plains NY. The train consisted of a flat with a backhoe assigned to fix a drainage ditch just south of White Plains. Since it was just a few miles down the road the work crew foreman said the backhoe didn't need to be tied down. On the way the backhoe hit the platform in North White and fell on the 3rd rail and shorted out the system. The work order was canceled but the next day I was back there again and this time I noticed it was secured with some ratchet tie downs. I thought I'd try to model the flat.
George

flat_backhoe.jpg

Where did you get the tie down material from - it's very effective

First thanks Jerome, Alco, Greg & Gabby. I bought it at Alkem Scale Models. I decided to buy the 3 brass sheets that were on sale for $15.99 I think $3.00 shipping. 1 sheet costs $5.99. Their lots of tie downs on every sheet but only a few of the ratchet type per sheet in example the photo below.

Looks great George.
I've put off tieing down my turbine loads because I haven't found anything that looks good. Those chains look good.
IMG_3069.jpg

Looks great George.
I've put off tieing down my turbine loads because I haven't found anything that looks good. Those chains look good.

Often large loads like that were welded to the flatcar and cut off at the destination. See post #608 in the let's get loaded thread. It is a model I made of a large pulley on a welded structure welded to the car. I also tried to model the places where old load securements had been cut off.

George thanks again for the information and manufacturer name etc these are awesome! I bought a couple of these and they came in today. ..

Attachments

• 20200222_205311.jpg
    20200222_205311.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200222_205307.jpg
    20200222_205307.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 162

Back