Flashing traffic lights

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Just recounting my experience getting MP traffic lights to flash. I wanted all three (it's a three way intersection) to flash red when a train was on the downtown spur. No problem, just get a regular Napa #552 flasher. Doesn't work no matter what kind of resistors you use because the restiance of three GOW lights is just too low. However, the CEC EF32 variable load electromechanical flasher works perfect. It's able to operate with loads from 50 milliamps to 25 volts and adjusts the flash rate electronically so the flash rate is the same no matter what the load. I added a 100 ohm resistor in line because the incandescent lights were too bright and the combination is just about right. The CEC flasher is about 8 bucks at most NAPA stores but you won't find it at chain stores like Advance Auto. I have the lights coming out to a toggle switch on the control panel so I can change the lights to flashing red as needed.

Probably not more than 1 in 100 modelers ever need this information but I looked all over the web for about two hours and found nothing. Now someone else who needs the information will be able to find the answer. The CEC flasher would work well for things like radio and water tower marker lamps or even store advertising lights.

Thanks, guys. I figured there some other goofball like me out there trying to do something like this so I thought I'd post it. I changed the set up so the amber lights flash since that's the typical scheme towns use late at night. I've got it all wired into toggle switches now and it works great. I think I'm going to have to stop by the Shack and pick up some bigger resistors though. The ones I have are 1/4 watt and those suckers get hot! :eek:

Back