first shot at weathering...

wongsing

Well, I'm pretty happy with the results and although almost all the tabs holding the body on are broke now, my tablecloth is stained (wife is alittle upset....:eek: ) and I can't get the paint or pastels out of my fingernails, I have finally weathered my first loco. I did a Conrail ACF centerflow hopper also, but it wasn't as weathered as this! Please let me know if it you guys think it looks good or not. I can take criticism, and if you have something (preferably locomotive) you'd care to show off as an example or just for fun, please do!

the loco is a Chessie SD9, Proto 2000, with Kadee couplers and lots of weathering....

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

Hope you enjoy...
-Rich

Looks good Rich!!. Remember there is no right and wrong with weathering...No two worn items look the same..who's to say what happen for each of its marks it receives.. An engine could be in bad shape but just had the trucks rebuilt, or a new panel, ect. Only thing I can see is the railing could use some wear marks where greasy hands would have used them most...You might have it done but it's hard to see on the pics...Even so I'd be proud to say I did that!! NICE WORK!!!... Hey you didn't put it in that washer with rocks like they do to new jeans did ya??? :D

Thanks Bob! Your nice comments really make me want to weather my other rolling stock as well. Some more weathered, some less...but I want to experiment alittle more. As far as the handrails go though, they have been weathered as well. Unfortunately, none of my 15 years of modelling experience can help me snap a better picture! LOL!

-Rich

Thanks Bob! Your nice comments really make me want to weather my other rolling stock as well. Some more weathered, some less...but I want to experiment alittle more. As far as the handrails go though, they have been weathered as well. Unfortunately, none of my 15 years of modelling experience can help me snap a better picture! LOL!

-Rich

Good job! It takes a lot of guts to weather that first loco.

Good job! It takes a lot of guts to weather that first loco.

So true!!!..I painted a Santa Fe into a Conrail, still couldn't bring myself into weathering it..so I did a dummy first!...But I was around when Conrail made it's appearance here in Pa. and the first ones I saw were all new...and we attended the Railfest at the shops and toured the build shops and paint shops...so my first up close remembrance were all new fresh ones! :rolleyes:

Great job!

So that was your first!? It took me years before I worked up the nerve to weather a loco. Weathering $10.00 rolling stock was one thing but a $100.00+ loco was quite a step.

Like Bob said "No two weather things are a like". I generally weather things in groups. When I do that I have to be careful that I don't make them all look a like.

Good work Rich!!! love the way you made the roof, but your work deserve better photos, its a little bit hard to see it.
Now that I see your work, I just cant wait to try whit a locomotive hehehehe.

LOL! It definantly took alot of guts to put that beautiful Chessie engine under the brush but I am happy with the results! I like how you remember the Conrail engines that you first saw in PA...I used to live in PA back in the 80's and that was a very interesting time for Chessie/Family Lines/CSX. All that brings back memories for me....but I can assure you that most if not all of the engines I saw back then were either as dirty and beat as mine...if not worse!

-Rich

Back