First question

Quincyl

I have a dedicated room measuring 10 x 20 feet. I am familiar with the pros and cons of the scales but I would like the answer from a modelling standpoint as in the finished appearance of detailing, weathering and general fun to operate when complete. Which scale.... HO or N??? Thank you all in advance, your knowledge and experience will help me make a better layout.

I recommend HO as far as you may be concerned. As time passes us by, vision and manual dexterity will weaken and N scale might be harder to work with. There is a lot more offered in HO scale as far as structures, detail parts and equipment. Weathering and general fun are equal in all scales from what I can see. Detailing in N scale doesn't have to be quite as detailed as HO because of it's size, but that may also be a drawback. N scale equipment has made great improvements in the last 20 years or so and shouldn't be completely ruled out. You can get a lot more railroading in your space with N scale, but that space is also more than adequate for HO scale. I do HO and have a dedicated train shed of 20' x 32', two levels. At 68 years, I am not having any difficulty yet with modeling in HO, but I know that N scale is too small for me personally. While I could do it, the frustration level might take all of the fun of of it. That applies to me only.

Not knowing anything about you and where you live and your age - yada, yada!
I would stick with HO if you plan on detailed scenery, cars, and locomotives.
After my lionel days, I started with a 3x4 HO in a small two bedroom apt with a new baby. Stayed with HO for a number of years - then got involved with a fairly large 2 rail O scale club which had On3 as well. From there I moved up to 7.5 inch scale for 4-5 years with a nearby neighbor's 20 acre layout with 3-4 real miles of track.
Now I am so confused that I don't know which way to go - I LIKE THEM ALL - and have some equipment of each!

This forum is a wealth of knowledge in HO - more so than other scales.
Glad to see you here ... most of all ...have fun!

I'll second everything Willy said. Though I am a bit biased. I started out in HO in 1966 and haven't changed scales since. I started with diesels (since most steam was brass and way out of my price range) but in the mid '70s switched to traction after a visit to the Orange Empire Trolley Museum, now the Southern California Railway Museum, in Perris, CA. There are significantly more traction models in HO than in any other scale. There are also more structure, vehicle, etc. options in HO. So a lot comes down to which portion of the hobby you enjoy most. If your primary focus in operations; e.g. running trains, you would be better off in N. But if other aspects appeal more, like detailing and scene creation, HO is probably the better option.

Hello Quincy,
I also had acquired my first train set in the mid 60's, it was HO. I believe N scale was pretty new then but I didn't know about it. Not sure when I first found out about N scale, didn't make a difference, I still model HO. I like the size of HO and the range of detailing that can be accomplished with it.
My train room is 12x20, which makes me feel pretty lucky that I don't have some small space and have to model Z scale. Cool if that's what you like, just not for me.....

My newbie opinion on this subject, is that the modelling is my main attraction, and being able to run a train would be the wonderful climax to prove the competence of my work. A 10x20 space sounds huge to me, and my vote would be for HO in that much space. Mostly due to the sheer quantity of available items and the fact that it's a very easy to work scale.
On the other hand, I've built a 30"x7' module table that I thought would hold an HO 4-track yard along with a small town main street. It really surprises me how quickly one runs out of real-estate. It turns out, I can't find a way to fit the street, the yard, and the mountain terrain that's in my head all on that table.
Then again, I do have an N-scale train. Every time I hold it, I'm glad I've chosen HO.

Both HO and N can be detailed. Both HO and N can operate well. Here is a video of Jon Percy's N scale layout operating at Prairie Rail (I was actually at that session). It is very well detailed and operates great.

However HO is bigger and more popular. You have more room, its easier to see and there is more equipment, details, etc. available.

What it really boils down to, is what type of operation, what type of layout do you want? What era do you want?
Steam era? Go HO definitely.
Want sound? Go HO.
Want a lot of distance distance between switching areas? Go N.
Is the car count in trains important? Go N.
Are you making an intensely detailed layout (a la FSM)? Go HO.
Are you modeling specific cars or a specific car fleet? Go HO.

Quincyl,

I'd do HO for the obvious reasons Willie stated. I am about 14 years your junior and find N-scale a bit harder to work with than HO. I am helping my grandson work on an n-scale layout and find things a little harder to get into the detail.

Both HO and N can be detailed. Both HO and N can operate well. Here is a video of Jon Percy's N scale layout operating at Prairie Rail (I was actually at that session). It is very well detailed and operates great.

However HO is bigger and more popular. You have more room, its easier to see and there is more equipment, details, etc. available.

What it really boils down to, is what type of operation, what type of layout do you want? What era do you want?
Steam era? Go HO definitely.
Want sound? Go HO.
Want a lot of distance distance between switching areas? Go N.
Is the car count in trains important? Go N.
Are you making an intensely detailed layout (a la FSM)? Go HO.
Are you modeling specific cars or a specific car fleet? Go HO.
Thanks for the reply Dave, why did you say if I wanted sound to go HO?

Some other things to consider: How is your eyesight and manual dexterity? Are you planning on having is young kids or senior friends? If so, you may want to go with HO rather than N. My manual dexterity is pretty good and my eyes are great after having the second eye's cataract removed (probably will still need some reading & detail work glasses prescribed after the healing is completed). If I were about 65 years younger, I might have considered N, but I've got about 70+ years worth of HO rolling stock, and not about to change now! (My current layout is a folded dogbone, with a wide peninsula inside a dedicated 14' x 14' room.

BTW, is Quincy your name, or do you hale from Quincy, Illinois or Quincy, MA? Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Stay well!

Thank you for the reply Mr. Rider,,, May I call you Trail? :D Hope I did not offend just a friendly joke. I think I can still handle N scale especially because I have found a really good set of magnifying lenses with lights even. Not only that what I mess up because of my failing eyes I will not notice because of my failing eyes. The dexterity is a bit shakier than it used to be but not too bad yet. I really like the idea of a bit of distance between yard and major industries and cities which came about after your and other posts pointing out that was a benefit of N scale if it was what I liked. I realized it was so you experts have already helped me firm up the first decision and hopefully many more. Thanks for your personal interest re; my name. Quincy was a 185lb Rottweiler we owned many years ago. He was the greatest dog ever. He thought every animal and human he saw was just a friend he had not met yet. Would not hurt a fly. Even owned a kitten they were fast friends. I miss him to this day and remember him any way I can. If you run across another User named Quincy on any other forum etc. It might be me. Thanks again. Q

Love your quote, can I borrow it on occasion?
Quincyl -- Thank you for the detailed story of your four legged furry family addition. It is a shame that they have to leave us early - on the flip - I don't want to leave mine either! I have seen some very sad stories of dogs who have lost their masters.

You are most welcome to use anything that I have posted - sometimes I do change them around.

Thank you Mr. Alot fot the nice words, we are pet lovers. Our pets are treated better than most children and pretty much run things around here. Currently a Shi Tsu and Bijon mix who is blind. We love them for sure. Also thanks for the copyright license for your sayings. :p

Back