First Operating Session

D

dthurman

I am going to my first operating session tomorrow, it's a proto-based layed on the P&PU in the 70's, I think there will be about 6-7 operators. I have no clue to if we are using radio's, work sheets, car cards etc.

Since I have done operations, but solo only on my own layout, I use car cards and 4 cycle waybills, but never in a group enviroment, do any of you operating session pros have any tips or don't do's? I want to look cool and not reach for that derailed car and in the process knock over his pride and joy showcase engine (Doubt he has one, but you never know).

So for us new guys to group sessions, what can you tell me and others about proper conduct?

Thanks.

ps. I think it's a great way to start the new year :D

dthurman said:
I am going to my first operating session tomorrow, it's a proto-based layed on the P&PU in the 70's, I think there will be about 6-7 operators. I have no clue to if we are using radio's, work sheets, car cards etc.

Since I have done operations, but solo only on my own layout, I use car cards and 4 cycle waybills, but never in a group enviroment, do any of you operating session pros have any tips or don't do's? I want to look cool and not reach for that derailed car and in the process knock over his pride and joy showcase engine (Doubt he has one, but you never know).

So for us new guys to group sessions, what can you tell me and others about proper conduct?

Thanks.

ps. I think it's a great way to start the new year :D

Well, for one thing, don't do this to a man's Challenger...:D

109229266.jpg

Sorry CJ, I just couldn't pass this one up. ;)

Cjcrescent said:
Just wait! I'll gitja!

Dadburn people won't ever forget!

You shoulda snapped a shot last month at Rex's. ;) I know, you're waiting till you can get a shot of me, on the floor, picking up the pieces of a Challenger. :D

We're really helpin ya out here, huh Dave? :D

Seriously, I'd go the humble route over the cool route. Tell them you're new to a group operation and ask for an appropriate train to run. You'll pick it up fast, I'm sure. I'd be in the same boat on anything formal. That's why I rarely do formal.:D

Aaaawwwww! Ray I didn't mena do it, I didn't mena do it!!!

Click.....Bang!

That was the sound of Ray putting the Selkirk out of its misery!

Sorry, now that I have picked myself off the floor from laughing (Poor Carey will never live that one down and we will never forget:p .):

Dave, I haven't been to a formal operating session either, but I have been invited to some. I was told not to worry that someone would be with me until I got the hang of things. Yes, I have to go along with Eric and say forget the cool. Everyone has to start out new and everyone understands that.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately I know a lot of the people, they come into the shop, I didn't know if some "jobs" are better then others. I know the Open House I had went to for a local NMRA meet was a little disappointing, all the layouts I went to, none of the trains running could go 5 feet with out derailing or stopping.

I am just hoping I don't put one in the pit ;)

A good freind of mine belongs to a large operating club I guess you could call it. It's called River rail, they even have thier own web site if anyone wants to look. www.riverrail.com . I have been to about ten sessions and have never operated a train, these guy's are way to advanced for me. I usually work staging or just help where it is needed. They talk on two way radios to the despatcher and get there orders and car cards and say things that I haven't a clue to. I don't know? to me they just suck all the fun out of running trains, Oh well just my opinion!
:cool:

Now I wouldn't mind being a dispatcher, my mentor Jim Murphy, that dispatcher for the UP in the LA BAsin, the sufer guy, makes it sound pretty fun, I know how to do a track warrant.

Your right Andy, that doesn't sound fun.

ak-milw said:
A good freind of mine belongs to a large operating club I guess you could call it. It's called River rail, they even have thier own web site if anyone wants to look. www.riverrail.com . I have been to about ten sessions and have never operated a train, these guy's are way to advanced for me. I usually work staging or just help where it is needed. They talk on two way radios to the despatcher and get there orders and car cards and say things that I haven't a clue to. I don't know? to me they just suck all the fun out of running trains, Oh well just my opinion!

Carey, that sounds kinda like an ARG session a Rex's don't it? :D

I'm just kidding, Andy. Our sessions aren't to formal. ;)

dthurman said:
Now I wouldn't mind being a dispatcher, my mentor Jim Murphy, that dispatcher for the UP in the LA BAsin, the sufer guy, makes it sound pretty fun, I know how to do a track warrant.

Your right Andy, that doesn't sound fun.

I've got to hear the surfer dude dispatch trains when I get back to work (DSL). :D

I'll tell ya, when you go to one of these operating sessions you feel like you have to go back to school and learn the stuff you missed!! OPERATING CLASS 101! They all seem to have fun though, I just wish they would let me in on it.
I even get to the point where I am afraid to even say anything because it may make me look like an idiot, or maybe I am one???

Back