First Layout, 4x8 Learning Experience

NYCBliss

Hi just throwing up some pictures of a 4x8 DCC HO layout I have been working on for the past couple of years. Progress is slow due to work and school but it has given me time to find the tips and techniques the vets on this forum are good enough to share with use newbies. This layout is a learning experience for me so in the future I can nail down some of the techniques to make a really nice display layout. This is a freelanced layout based around the eastern railroads in the later days of steam. I don't have much in the way of rolling stock and power but I have taken a liking to the New York Central as well as the LIRR (guess its cause I live on Long Island) and hope to collect enough to recreate a piece of the NYC on a larger layout in the future. As far as this layout goes I have just recently finished putting down a base ground covering for scenery and am now starting to go back and put as much detail into it as possible as well as make trees. This is definitely still a work in progess. Tips and comments are always welcome as I have learned much from reading this forums and what its members have to say.

My MTH Empire State Hudson

009-1.jpg

Sky Shot

012-1.jpg

Street View

010-1.jpg

River in Corner (Water tower is old beat up stand in)

004-1.jpg

Your still unfinished "1st" layout looks pretty good! Being forced to take your time, and thusly being able to research and learn techniques, really pays off doesn't it?

If anything I'd say your layout is in dire need of trees! You have a lot of wide open and flat spaces on the layout that still give it that tracks-on-plywood look. Besides just adding trees, a great way to fix this (and practice a new technique!) is to make some hills out of that house insulation foam (the big pink/blue sheets). Nothing major, just take small pieces and sand them to make gently rolling small hills and then flock them.

Back