First diorama....Opinions wanted

Goldnut

This is my first attempt at building a diorama. I would like your opinions on it to this point even though it isnt completed yet. I would like to add some clump foliage like in the foreground of the first pic but had a question before adding any more. Should i scenic glue everthing down first then proceed to adding the clumps? Also I am going to add some static grass. I was also wondering about the order of applying vegetation. I was planning on the smallest to the biggest..turf, clumps, grass then trees. Thanks in advance. Ill be back later after I watch the Steelers go to 10-0!! Ken
diorama4.jpg

Attachments

• diorama2.jpg
    diorama2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 129
I think you have done a great job. And yes, do 'nail' it all down before you begin drilling or whatever to get tree armatures inserted or to add bushes. That way, after you have drilled, you can quickly pass a vacuum over the dust created by the drill bit, but not lose a bunch of your spendy scenicking materials at the same time. Fix it in place first.

One observation, if I can be fully honest. The tracks look huge compared to the rocks beyond them. I would either upsize the rocks or down-scale the tracks. Maybe it's just the lens and the perspective, but the tracks look like a toy right now.

I think you have done a great job. And yes, do 'nail' it all down before you begin drilling or whatever to get tree armatures inserted or to add bushes. That way, after you have drilled, you can quickly pass a vacuum over the dust created by the drill bit, but not lose a bunch of your spendy scenicking materials at the same time. Fix it in place first.

One observation, if I can be fully honest. The tracks look huge compared to the rocks beyond them. I would either upsize the rocks or down-scale the tracks. Maybe it's just the lens and the perspective, but the tracks look like a toy right now.

I want honesty and I appreciate your input. I dont know if it might be the camera angle or not. I did get pretty close to get a good shot of the shrub I was mentioning. I will place my engine on this tomorrow and get a pic. It is a small setting. The measurements are 12X36. Thanks

Thanks guys! As I mentioned in my first post I am not quite done yet. I thought I should wait until I finished all the foliage and trees before ballast. Would that be correct? Or should I ballast now?

Good start. My method is to put down the base ground, drill the holes for trees and put a stick in the hole so it can be found. Then add the turf, weeds, bushes, hedges, tree stumps, fallen branches, dead leaves then the trees. But, experiment and find what works for you.

Ballast, coin flip. I have added before ground cover is finished and after all of an area is landscaped. Rust the rails 1st then either way works for me.
Enjoy the learning process.

TomO

This is one of 2 experiment areas for me.
2044E2A5-6BEB-4B7F-969C-A88C7DC31DAE.jpeg

This is an experiment in “dead season” for me. The other parts of the layout are September in Wisconsin. Done as above.
54C5E76A-1043-4A7C-B326-A70538966937.jpeg

Last edited:
5F45E4E5-02ED-42A3-AC25-02296C6741CF.jpeg

This is what happens in my experience when you ballast 1st then try to come back and rust the rail. It took a lot of Pan pastels to weather away the rust on the ballast. Rust the rails 1st. Don’t follow this example from my layout. I can’t find the current picture

TomO

Tom, That looks very nice! I can see the importance of weathering first. Im taking note as to how it would beneficial to ballast first. The I can bring the foliage up into it.

Well jeeze Sherrel...Just when I think Im getting this you go and throw a wrench into the works! LOL Those are some great examples. Guess I better start walking the tracks. Thanks for the help. Is there any reason that area looks the way it does?

Not that i can determine ... Track is used enough that the tops of both sets of rails are shiny.
It looks to me like a combination of rust and Texas red clay mud from the track pulsating as the cars go over the crossing.

Have been looking through lots of photos and find both clean looking ballast and dirty looking.
I will make an observation that the heavy traveled main lines are more clean than the less traveled rails ... so on a model layout you could have both types.
I didn't comment on your scenery - it looks very nice to me - some bushes and trees will make it even better.

Back