First DCC Running!

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Hey guys!
Well guys today I ran my first DCC train. I have only run DC until know:D The system I used was a MDC Command 2000, which I received from Grande Man:) I used a UP FA-1, also given to me by Grande Man:p , and three cars, two boxcars and a flat car. The system was great and the engine ran smoothly. One thing I really like is the fact that you could run the engine at a slow speed without it stalling. I ran it on an egg oval as I like to call it. If I defined an egg oval one side has a big radius the other small, so I can test how the train does on different radius's. Well I guess thats my higlight of the day.
Chris

Great news Chris!!

I can't wait myself to get DCC going on my end, we have DC at the moment, but have MAJOR plans, finances are ready for the switch, now to see if Atlas will sell the replacement parts for all my lightboards with their DCC boards. If I would have known that Atlas boards (Lenz) had auto-sensing I would have just ordered them that way. I plan on getting the Prodigy Advanced, I can get one from the shop for $189.00 I wanted to get all the decoders first. We have one of those 2000 at the store, on consignment, not sure how much.

Must be nice to have Grandeman's handme downs :) Eric, when you replace all those trees, I am here ;)

That's great Chris. There's nothing like a train stopped with the lights on is there? That made the biggest impression on me when we first tried DCC.

You ain't getting our trees Dave. You'll have to make your own...:D

Welcome to a new world of fun Chris. Before i switched from DC over, I was lucky to get 3 people operating at the same time, Last night, I had six, and i could probably have had a seventh had i had a little more space.

I ment to ask you Grande Man, do I have to have an MDC Decoder only??? Also about the lights, I may have to replace the light in the FA-1, it seemed like some how it wouldn't work:confused: Well it was pretty exciting to finally find out that I could run some engines slowly withouht them stalling :)
Chris

Way to go Chris. Your gonna love it more and more as you get used to features only the prototypes could do!!!

Enjoy and keep us posted on all the cool stuff your doing.

Hey Grandeman, Those GP 30's are sure looking tired be sure to send them to Uncle Johnny's CNW division when the New Horsepower Arrives;) :D !!

Johnny

Chris

Is it possible it needed a resistor to cut down on the juice to the light? I seem to remember reading about some lights on some brands, if it's not a dropin board might need that. But since I don't have DCC, I know nothing. (my best sgt shulzt accent)

chrismoore93 said:
I ment to ask you Grande Man, do I have to have an MDC Decoder only??? Also about the lights, I may have to replace the light in the FA-1, it seemed like some how it wouldn't work:confused: Well it was pretty exciting to finally find out that I could run some engines slowly withouht them stalling :)
Chris

Hey Chris. Your loco is factory MRC, so yes, it does have their decoder. The light was working, but it may have burned out. You did have it turned on, right? It won't come on automatically like DC. Just a thought.

Johnny, I couldn't bear to see another Grande unit patched, so they'll have to stay with us. :D

dthurman said:
Chris

Is it possible it needed a resistor to cut down on the juice to the light? I seem to remember reading about some lights on some brands, if it's not a dropin board might need that. But since I don't have DCC, I know nothing. (my best sgt shulzt accent)

That wasn't the case with Chris's loco, but most (not all) decoder outputs are 12-16v, so resistors or proper voltage lamps are required. Some decoders are made specifically for certain locos, and already have the resistors installed so the factory 1.5 volt bulbs don't have to be changed. These are all things you'll get to deal with soon when you go to DCC. :)

Grand Man I just ran the loco right know, I didn't touch a button a bam the light when on! So it would seem it is working lol ;) What I meant about the decoder was, do all the locos I have need an MDC Decoder, or can they have any type. I did however manage to program my DCC Mantua 2-6-6-2, so I am thinking the answer is no. Am I right???
Chris

You should be able to use any decoder. We were running several late model Digitrax decoders with your controller.

Glad to hear that you have lights!

grande man said:
Glad to hear that you have lights!

It is a good thing, because if he didn't, he wouldn't be able to move that engine :rolleyes: Not sure what rule it is, but I don't think the crew would want a fine for a engine without a headlight properly working...

Your spot on Chris, any decoder from any manufacturer will work on any other DCC system provided it has NMRA approval. That's part of the cool DCC world!! I love it would never go back.

Ken.

you don't need to have decoders made just by the mfg'r that builds your system. They all meet the NMRA specs, so decoders are interchangeable from that respect.

If I can jump in here with my own DCC Q: :eek:

What would happen if I used a non-DCC ready loco? I have a few from the 80's. Would I have any control over it, or would it just run around the layout at full speed?

Actually it depends upon the system you have. NCE does not support Non-decodered Loco's. Some systems allow you to run them as address 00. In either case, don't leave them sitting on the track too long, as you might just burn up the loco especially the older units. Remembering that DCC has 12 to 16 volts running thru the track, and no filter (decoder) to run it properly.

Ok - thanks. About a week or so ago I looked at the common questions, and Faq list from 1 manufacturer, and it didn't address this.

Another Q:

I think it was Chris who said that he could run his loco at very slow speeds without stalling. So DCC can regulate the speed of the loco too? Does that mean I can run a train at a snails pace, and it will keep that same pace up a grade, or say around a sharp curve? What about down a grade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trackside said:
Ok - thanks. About a week or so ago I looked at the common questions, and Faq list from 1 manufacturer, and it didn't address this.

Another Q:

I think it was Chris who said that he could run his loco at very slow speeds without stalling. So DCC can regulate the speed of the loco too? Does that mean I can run a train at a snails pace, and it will keep that same pace up a grade, or say around a sharp curve? What about down a grade?

Indeed it was me that said that. But keep in mind I was just running a loco and a few cars on a flat surface;)
Chris

Ok, so perhaps it's more the effect of a nice piece of equipment (controller) rather than some software which can tell how fast/slow the engine is moving.

Darn Chris, you had me sold on one for a minute there. :D

Back