First DCC Running!

Some Decoders which have what is called Back EMF helps regulate and provide constant speed whether the engine is going up or down hill. I haven't tried it at really low speed, but it does work well under decent scale speed. Of course that is dependent upon the number of cars and the weight of the cars being pulled by the train. Software such as "DecoderPro" help you regulate Startng speed, top Speed, Speed curves etc, but doesn't actually run the trains for you.

Trackside: QSI, Tsunami, and probably the new Digitrax have what is called Regulated Throttle Control. This will give you a near constant speed up hill and down hill regardless of the load. Another advantage to the RTC is when you consist two or more locos set with this on, you will get a near perfect match in pulling power with both locos actually sensing the pull or drag of the other.

All the higher level decoders have what is called "loadable speed tables" where you can adjust a start to run speed curve. i.e., For a freight you can set it up for a very slow and long start slowing picking up to run speed or you can have a quicker start to run speed for a passenger.

Another and simple method, but doesn't cover the entire throttle range is to adjust CV3 for acceleration and CV4 for deceleration.

Trackside, there are many many adjustments in DCC you can play with to get your loco running exactly like you want. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are even lighting options also, as in rule 17 dimming. In some of my N scale locos, I even have flashing roof becons. Way kewl!!!! Imagine a LL SW-1200 with decoder and roof becon, working the yard...

Before I had moved, I just started messing around with matching the speed of different manufacture locomotives,,,, IE ,, Atlas with Kato's. By using the Start, Mid, High cv's. I also messed a little bit with the momentum effects. I know on Digitrax decoders, you can choose from preloaded speed tables, as in switcher, road switcher and the big kahuna. Entering the specific value in that CV will enable you to choose from pre load speed tables.

I use the EASY DCC system from CVP products located in Richardson, Tx. From start to finish, I had the system set up and running trains in about 90 minutes. I also use thier accessory decoder for control of my crossovers which are moved by tortiose machines. One decoder can control four items... so one decoder has control over four of my main line crossovers. The future plans consist of have a Absolute permissive block control signal system, with tumble down signal aspects. So either by the controling of the crossover, which would change the signal aspects,,, or controlling the signal aspects, would make the crossover throw.

Using the Decoder-Pro program, you can make your own CTC panel for such things.. Ibetter shut up on this, I con type all night,LOL

What is kewlllllllll, is that you can control your train and the crossover at the same time. Meaning the CVP handheld has the option of being in accy mode, but still control the loco decoder(s) also.

DCC is just in one word ..( SWEET). I will NEVER go back to analog. It is sooooo kewl to run my switch job in Fond Du Lac, while there are main line trains going in either direction...

One word on CVP's customer support, EXCELLANT!!!!!!!

Adios Wyatt

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyatt, I think you're as sold on DCC as I am. ;) Everytime I work with the Digitrax system I'm amazed at what it'll do. It really is COOOOL stuff. :cool:

PS, I know what you mean about the SW1200 with the roof beacon going.;) The lighting effects are fantastic!
119300022.jpg

Well guys I have been running the locos on the system for a couple days now :D I have all of my DCC ready loco's programmed. Also it seems now that I am way more familiar with how the system works. Thanks again Grande Man, I appreciate it, and I know I will use it on my layout ;)
Chris

chrismoore93 said:
Well guys I have been running the locos on the system for a couple days now :D I have all of my DCC ready loco's programmed. Also it seems now that I am way more familiar with how the system works. Thanks again Grande Man, I appreciate it, and I know I will use it on my layout ;)
Chris

You're very welcome, Chris. I'm glad to hear that you're getting used to the system and running some trains. It's good to know that the equipment ended up with someone that'll put it to good use. :cool:

Back