First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

I have a place on my layout for your model....I'll PM you my address.

Looks great and I also like the weathering you have completed. Do plan on any exterior or interior lighting features?

Greg

Hey Der Folks!

I added the 2 foundations, and "mocked-up" the loading dock. There were a few blunders, but a great learning experience. I did notice I am missing the side vent castings, I emailed Jimmy, and he said he will be sending them out. Next up, add the dock doors, add the overhang, and tidy-up some of the weathering and details like permanently attaching the loading dock, and side building. Only negative so far is, the kit instructions (both sets) on the website are incomplete, but luckily I have the DVD.

-Steven
Front with Deck.jpg
Out Building with Deck.jpg
Sign Side with Deck.jpg

Only negative so far is, the kit instructions (both sets) on the website are incomplete, but luckily I have the DVD
That's the case in many of the laser-cut wood structures that I have built. I have built around 35 of them and it applies to all manufacturers (4) that I have used, not all kits, but most. No DVD in any that I have built, but after a few, I know what to look for and test everything first to avoid disappointment.

Hey Der Folks!

I added the dock doors, added the roof to the side structure, and trimmed the main roof overhang. I felt there was too much and it didn't look right to me. Next up, add the dock overhang, attach the side structure, tidy up the weathering some more, and start work on the casting I do have. I am still waiting (I understand Jimmy is super busy, and I am ok with that) for the missing castings.

-Steven
Doors Added and Out Building Roof.jpg

That's the case in many of the laser-cut wood structures that I have built. I have built around 35 of them and it applies to all manufacturers (4) that I have used, not all kits, but most. No DVD in any that I have built, but after a few, I know what to look for and test everything first to avoid disappointment.

Yep, that's why they call then "Craftsman Kits". Bar Mills kits usually have at least one "gotcha" in their instructions, and Foscale sometimes needs read over a couple times to see where he's going. Test fit, measure twice cut once, etc. etc. It's not easy to write instructions, especially since you as the writer know what you are trying to say and have done what you are trying to explain. It's easier than you think to leave something out! The best instructions I've ever seen come in Sierra West Scale Models kits, and those are in a spiral bound manual. Unfortunately those kits cost real money!

I added the overhang, and support wires (not really happy with how that turned out) but I am hoping I will be able to "clean" it up when I do the final weathering. I also permanently attached the porch and side building. Next up, I am going to do some MAJOR "tiding up" of the entire model with some touch-up paint, and weathering chalks. Then add the roof castings, and weather the roof.

Overhang Support Front.jpg
Overhang Support Side.jpg

Steven - Nice work. I dislike most of the supplied support wires with structures. I usually substitute some 0.007" wire that I got from somewhere.

Thank You for the suggestion, much appreciated. I have added this to my notes for future builds. It seems most folks agree on the supplied support wires. If I was to do it again, I think I would try using support timbers, instead of wires.

-Steven

It's good that you painted the globs of tar. I use a very small brush to apply a dab of white glue colored with India ink on these.

I'd also recommend piano wire for the supports instead of brass wire. They'd be in tension, not sagging. You can keep brass wire from bending like this by drilling the holes slightly oversized and applying a dab of CA when mounting them.

Last edited:
Hey Der Folks!

So, I started doing some weather, using some chalks. Not really happy so far, BUT, I am having fun, and learning a lot. Please keep in mind, this my first kit, and this has been a learning process. I am about ready to wrap this one up (other than making a small diorama) has that will also be a learning experience. I have started a few dioramas, has well as I 4 x 8 layout at one time, but never finished them. This is an awesome hobby, and I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps and inspires me to keep going. It's ok to give me critiques on my work, because it will help me on future builds. I have been taking a lot of notes, and saving pictures of stuff you fine folks have posted.

Weathering Front.jpgWeathering Sign Side.jpg
Weathering Back.jpgweathering Out Building Side.jpg

It looks fine. I've got several older kits that I picked up at auctions that I need to work on. I started with my fire station (cheaper kit) but it turned out ok. I just need to weather it though.

Very nice work. I especially like the foundation detail. The window shades are a nice touch as well. The broken window pane in the door is appealing. Try to be conscious of those small details that really make a statement; a ladder to access the loading dock, interior bracing at the loading dock, maybe a roof access. Craftsman kits offer a lot of good information and a starting point - don't be afraid to embellish them and add or subtract detail parts as your junk box grows.

Many years ago I got a stash of what was called "rice paper." This is extremely thin paper - .002! It's used in Asia for duplicate copies. Modern 20 lb copy paper runs around .003 - .004 thick. Old timers might recognize it as carbon paper. I use this exclusively when making signage as it requires no sanding to thin it. The only downside is you need a laser printer - ink jet results are blotchy. Have found no domestic source for it.

A suggestion for your support wires. Berkshire Junction has a product called EZ Line (elastic thread). There's a variety of colors and sizes.

Please don't take my comments as a critical critique. I really appreciate any comments that visitors make about my RR. Many times I'm blinded by my own vision and fail to see any other view.

If this is your first craftsman kit you've shown that your well on your way to becoming a true craftsman. Your next experience will be better and soon you will have some remarkable scratch building skills.

Hi @MOWboss,

I truly appreciate the feedback, I always appreciate critiques, it's what makes me a better builder. I will be looking up the EZ Line, thank you for the suggestion, it's the one thing that bothers me about this build. I do plan on adding stairs to the loading dock, and when I do the diorama, I plan on bringing the terrain to the level of the back door.

-Steven

Back