First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks,

Wish me luck, on my first Craftsman Kit build. It'll be slow going I'm sure, but I will post updates has I work on the kit. I do plan on setting the completed kit on a small diorama.

J Keen Build Start.jpg

Hey Der Folks,

Completed the bracing pieces, and did a "test fit". I surprised myself that all the corners match up nicely (just had to do a tad bit of sanding). One thing I did notice is that some of the bracing isn't exactly square, glad I noticed it and was able to adjust. Next up, A&I wash, and paint.

Question: Has anyone used an airbrush for painting the kit? How does it compare to brushing? I am using Badger Model Flex Antique White. I also have Folk Art Vintage White.
Bracing Completed.jpg

Her Der Folks!

Added the A&I wash to the main structure. Next up, I will be adding the main color, and also paint the trim, windows, and doors. Not sure if my wash is too dark (it looks darker in the picture than in person). I plan on doing Antique White on the main structure, with POLLY Scale C&NW Green for the trim, windows, and door trim.

-Steven

A&I Wash.jpg

Wow, that's looking great! That big sign looks painted on, how did you apply it?

Weathering is something I'm working on getting right also.

I lightly sanded the back with 220 sandpaper, and I attached the sign with 3M Transfer tape. I applied the tape to the back of the sign, then I trimmed slightly into the black, applied to building, and used my fingernail to push into the clapboards. I since lightly sanded the sign (pictures coming soon).

-Steven

I lightly sanded the back with 220 sandpaper, and I attached the sign with 3M Transfer tape. I applied the tape to the back of the sign, then I trimmed slightly into the black, applied to building, and used my fingernail to push into the clapboards. I since lightly sanded the sign (pictures coming soon).
Well it turned out great! I'll have to remember that way of doing it.

Hey Der Folks!

Well, I started on the weathering, can't say I am completely happy with the results. Please understand that this is my first attempt, and I knew I would not get the best results. The key thing is, I am learning a lot, and I am having FUN!! I been taking notes on what is working, and what is not working. I do plan on continuing with some subtle layers, and try fixing some of the details I am not happy with. Next up, I will be adding the window and door "glass", assemble the walls. and add the roof.

First Weathering.jpg
First Weathering Topview.jpg

-Steven

Back