First attempt at weathering an N-scale SD45 with PanPastels' weathering powders:

I chose a brand new Kato SD45 as my test loco. So far, I've only used burnt sienna from PanPastels' "Rust & Earth" weathering kit, and black, titanium white, and Paynes grey from the "greys" kit. Without first looking for an appropriate prototype photo to work from, I just dove in and gave it a shot. I noticed that the fuel tank was too smooth, and would benefit from a flat-coat first to better apply the powder. A little does go along way, and the consistency of the powder makes it easy to apply. My first amateurish attempt may be a bit crude, but this sure is fun!

weathertest-1.jpg

weathertest-2.jpg

weathertest-4x.jpg

weathertest-3.jpg

weathertest-4.jpg

weathertest-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, first attempt, newbie, etc. Still looks good but a few pointers. Try to use a photo of the real thing. Use one of these websites for examples.
http://www.locophotos.com
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net

You may need to join, but they are both free.
Another pointer, most if not all trucks weather evenly, except in the case of oil leaks. Also generally there is rust below the battery box louvers. Roofs have black exhaust on them.
Now a little history regarding the unit that you have pictured, not that it really matters. While that loco was originally an SD45 for CNW, built in February 1967, it was re-built and given that number, SP8663, in 1994 by Morris Knudsen (they rebuild locos for RR's). The designation also changed and it was made into an MK SD40M-2. SP did this to a number of SD45's and SD40's. I'm not sure when it passed from CNW to SP.
Keep on practicing, this is a good start.

Willie

Definitely flat coat first! Willie is correct, work from photos if at all possible. If you can't find one of your specific model study others to get a feel for how dirt accumulates.

For a "first attempt", I think you have done a good job. At least you are not afraid to tackle the work.

Good pointers by Alan and Willie.

Hey, thanks guys!. I forgot about rrpicturearchives and didn't know about locophotos. I just registered at locophotos . . . Wow! What an excellent resource! That's really going to help a lot! Yeah, I need to Dull-Cote first, but I didn't order any yet and was afraid to use the Home Depot stuff I bought. I guess I'll pop for a can on my next MTS order, just for locos and rolling stock.

By the way, I was watching some random YouTube video on weathering and this one guy had some insanely well-detailed locos. In particular, somehow he had drawn super-tiny streaks of oil running down the sides of the loco. Any clue as to the technique?

I assume the above oil streaks were brush-applied. What types (acrylic or enamel?), and brands (Testors, Model Master, Tamiya?) of paints are popular for these types of applications?

I found some acrylic hobby paint in the garage and some small brushes to try to do the oil streaks, but I didn't do so well (I just rubbed it off after taking this photo). Next time, I'll try applying with a toothpick or something with a finer point:

weathertest-10.jpg

Back