First Airbrush/Sprayer - Recommendations

austinrick

I'm returning to the hobby after, oh, around 35 years away. Probably won't build a layout anytime soon, but am going to start building up some rolling stock kits (LaBelle caboose kit awaits).

What inexpensive airbrush setup would you recommend I start with to get acceptable painting and weathering results? Recommended paints?

thx!

I bought a Paasche set for $112 at the LHS, it's a single action airbrush with a kit of an extra bottle, hose, extra needle, and a tool, I like mines and it does a great job.
I also bought a Parker regulator with an air/water separator because I use a 30 gal air compressor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the basic starter sets are good and about equal quality wise. I'd suggest you visit your LHS or an arts & crafts store where they carry several brands and find one that feels good in your hand, and that the trigger feels right. I have all of them. and the Badger & Paasche work about equally well. Have not tried Testor's Aztek. Iwata makes a very nice one, but a little on the expensive side. The rule of thumb is, the finer the line they will spray, the more expensive they get.

Good Luck!

harbour freight has a "delux" airbrush kit that is dirt cheap. its a dual action/internal mix that is incredible. i have it as do many other members on here. Pick up one of there compressors they have on sale for like $50 and braided line for the airbrush and you will have yourself a pretty good setup.

Thanks, Jim, and everyone. Looking at the HF link you included and the 'Related Items,' which compressor would work best for our kind of spraying chores? Any of the accessories especially worthwhile? Remember, I used to do everything with a brush; airbrush is new to me.

thanks again, Merry Christmas!

The 95630-3VGA Airbrush and Compressor kit is a good deal at $100. Good quality compressor and you save about $5 on the airbrush. The mini-filter and replacement tips are also a good thing to order at the same time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93657

This compressor is a good choice. This also goes on sale from time to time as well. If you play your cards right. Buying the airbrush seperate for around 15 dollars on sale and this compressor on sale. You could get them both cheaper then buying them together for 100 bucks. However, its only 100 bucks. The name brand compressors cost well over 100 bucks alone. So either way, its money ahead and I hear the compressor is a good unit. The airbrush is the same as a Badger model but I cant remember which.

thats the compressor I have. Works great. I went to harbour freight today to get a few things, not even realizing it was the day after christmas day. Store was packed. Was hoping for a deal on a pancake compressor and tank. But no dice.

Awesome, I was wondering where to find an decent starter airbrush. I can't stomach spending $150 for an airbrush. I have a slew of passenger cars I need to paint...

Dont forget to check locally on places like Craigslist. I have seen a few good deals there before but never persued them. Just shopping.

Back