Finally!

disisme said:
Bob, this is dis, and I finally decided to register here so I can talk to you guys (gday Willis!!).

I like it...an interesting modification that goes about as close as you can get to continuous run without actually having it :) With the layout elevation changes being significantly reduced, it allows that 'return loop' to be viable. Operations are significantly enhanced too, which is the important part. I think this layout is a very good (in fact, excellent) starting point for someone like Chris. Good work buddy.

About the only thing I'd change is to have another bridge...at least 1....to provide that 'spectacular photo point', but if the scenery is right, the one you've included may do the job.

Thanks for the compliments. :)

As for that bridge, as you've noticed, it has a couple of them. The center one on the right side would be a high and long, wood trestle...

Let me explain the layout a bit more. The main track leaves from the mill, and runs level through the first tunnel. Then it starts climbing, as it rounds the tall hill on the right, and circles back. The logging line branches off next to the stream, and the mainline disappears in the tunnel (staging?) You could easily reconnect it to the mainline as well.

The logging line continues along the creek, on the side of a steep bluff. Climbing on a steep grade, it gains enough elevation to cross over the first tunnel. Continuing uphill, it uses the switchbacks to gain more elevation. Granted, they're short, and will be more for looks than actual elevation gain, but operationally they still work the same.

After the switchbacks, you're now on a ridge above the mainlie. You continue climbing uphill for most of the way. There are 2 landings to spot empties and pick up loads, as well as a run-around.

As you reach the stream again, this time you're up above the other tracks, and cross the narrow gorge on a timber bridge. That brings you to the logging camp, at the right side. You deliver supplies to the loggers, and pick up the logs they've hauled in from the woods (out of the scene to the right)

If you ignore the fact the plan folds back on itself, this is actually a pretty typical logging operation. Use the main track for a while, then branch off on a side track. A couple of switchbacks to gain elevation as you head up into the mountains. Log decks along the way to provide lumber to pick up. A logging camp and reload at the end of the line.

> I still like the idea of a geared loco sasheying back
> and forth on the switchbacks to get over the hill,

They're still there on mine, just shorter than what he had shown. They no longer take up quite as much space, while still allowing the same operations.

> Bob your plan is very nice but it's so "model railroad" too
> much track without a genuine purpose. Just my opinion :D

Without a purpose? What do you mean? Every single piece of track on the layout serves a purpose. Here's the operating scenario...

You leave the mill and follow the mainline to the first branch. That branch follows the creek for a short while, then uses switchbacks to get up out of the river valley and on top of the hill...

Once you're up on the bluff, you have 3 locations to pick up logs. There's a runaround you can use to get around the cars and swap loads for empties. You may well find you can't make pickups at each one (those are short switchbacks) so you'll need two or three runs.

Don't forget to deliver supplies to the lumber camp as well as pick up the loads there.

All of the logs are taken down to the mill and dumped into the pond for processing. Once they're made into finished lumber one of the mainline trains will pick them up for delivery to the outside world.

As I said earlier, ignore the fact I've folded the layout in on itself, and think of it in a linear faction. Mainline from the mill to the woods. Branch up a valley to the top of the mountains, then 3 loading areas to pick up logs.

It all seems to have plenty of purpose to me!

I'll try and do some more work on this plan this weekend. If I can do the 3D stuff in 3rd PlanIt, things will be a lot clearer.

It doesn't look at all similar to what I was envisioning for the first layout. The scenery on this one looks to be something like the hills around here, and not at all like a loco climbing a mountain side. I'll have to study it a bit more, BTW what are those "load out" spurs for and also that dinky little 2 ft. run around at the middle far left.
13.gif
Willis

> BTW what are those "load out" spurs for

They drag logs from the woods to those locations, and then load them onto railcars. They'd normally be a lot further apart but he doesn't have room...

> that dinky little 2 ft. run around at the middle far left.

It's to run around the cars so you can switch them into the loadout and also so you can switch them to the logging camp. As for it being a dinky little run around, that's because the tail tracks on the switchbacks are also dinky. All you're going to get is maybe a 4 car train. Due to the steep grades that won't be a problem anyway.

Again, selective compression. They all should be longer, but then the switchbacks take up so much space there's no room for anything else. Ideally they'd be twice as long, and you may need to make them at least a bit longer than they are now as is. But it's all a compromise, due to space.

(If he was an experienced layout builder, I might have suggested a double decker, but hey we're just getting started.)

Again, consider operations. Whether you make two trips with a 3 car train or two trips with a 6 car train and longer sidings, the operation is the same in both cases. Yes, 6 or 8 cars is more realistic and would be nicer, if you have the room. In this case, we don't!

I think it has alot of potential Bob. If you do get to finish the plan, please post it here! I can't wait to see it! I'm not sure about 3 cars, I know we can fit a little more than that.

Hmm this is getting good :D I suppose then they are hauled
to the logging camp where they are dumped and then reloaded...

Last edited by a moderator:
Willis,

I intended to quote your message and instead edited it. (Moderators have an edit button which is right next to "quote")

Here's my reply to your now truncated message:

They're only loaded once, from various locations where they were hauled out of the woods. Head on over to this site and do some reading:
http://www.spiritone.com/~camp2/index.html

Check out the sections on donkeys and loading.

As for why not move the camp, the cutting progesses pretty quickly, so they put it close to the work area, but didn't move it as often.

Ok thank's Bob. That link is much more than a 15 min. read. Just so I have this straight now, The logs are loaded on the "Skeletons" cars and I'm going to assume a loco takes the load to the reload area. (at this point I have to ask) is the reload area in fact, really a staging area for the run to the mill ?
Getting late now have to turn in
13.gif
Willis

Here is a pic of a skeleton log car for those who don't really don't know what a skeleton log car is, just for reference. If you have any questions about logging feel free to ask me too Willis, I've been doing alot of research. I'm not sure if it answers your question but, the logs were loaded at a "logging camp" which would be located somewhere away from the sawmill. Then they would load the logs onto the cars using a crane or a special "log loader" car. Then the cars would be hauled down to the sawmill where they would be cut, then sent out. http://www.ribbonrail.com/art/images/logcar.gif

Sorry I'm late getting back to you Chris, didn't get up until 9:45AM, I was really bushed from yesterdays endevours. It has been a very full and busy day for me, I was on the go since morning, and it looks like its going to be a busy week ahead.
If you have any questions about logging feel free to ask me too Willis
Chris, you don't have to be asked directly before you can answer a question, myself and I'm sure all the members would be pleased to have an answer to their questions, unless it's a question that only the person refered to in the message can answer. So my friend , if you have an answer to a question feel free to post it. Probably a better way of looking at it, is All threads and the posts within them are open to discussion, anyone can join in. If it is a private matter then we have the Private Message option for members to use.
To cut to the chase I'd be grateful when and if you answered a question for me, so my friend don't be shy just because someone else is being addressed in a post.

13.gif
Willis

PS thanks for the link to the skeleton, I didn't realise they could be that detailed

Last edited by a moderator:

Back