Finally Scored One! Lionel Polar Express Smoking Caboose. Any Tips?

ActorMike

I've literally been looking for one of these for 2 years! I missed a BIN for 179.00 in September, but got lucky and snagged this one for 99.99! Everything works. Does anyone have any tips for the smoke unit like how long can the smoke unit be left turned on unattended? If it runs out of smoke, will it burn something up?
I tested mine as seen below and it works perfectly!
Lionel 6-81811 Polar Express O Scale N5b Caboose

Hello ActorMike,

Nice buy! I watched your video. According to some info I found (with one item hi-lighted by me)...............

Features:​

• All-new tooling
  • 1:48 Scale
  • Die-cast metal trucks with operating couplers
  • Frame includes pads for Kadee® coupler mounting, for easy conversion to scale couplers
  • Accurately reproduced side frames, specific to the prototype
  • Era-specific details
  • Durable plastic body with metal frame and handrails
  • >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Constant voltage smoke unit with ON/ OFF switch<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!
  • Brakeman figure in cupola
  • Interior LED lighting with ON/OFF switch
Check underneath the caboose. There is most likely a little on-off switch somewhere there to turn the smoke unit "on" or "off". You are correct about keeping smoke fluid in the chamber. If you leave the smoke unit "on", and let it run out of fluid, you can burn up the wicking inside of the smoke chamber, which will basically render the unit inoperative. Otherwise, turn the unit "off" and then you don't have to worry about it.

Good luck, have fun, and hope this helps a little. :)👍

Back