Finally!! Progress!! ...Well, sort of...

Yard_Duty

Finally!! Progress!! ...Well, sort of... Update 3/16/10

I finished wiring the layout room today, and I decided to do a quick lighting test. I secured a 2ft deep board to the wall at 48" from the floor. I was making sure my "no shadows" calculations were correct. I went with recessed lighting with "eyeball" trim. I placed them in a location where I determined there would be no shadow problems unless my chest practically touched the edge. Then, something unexpected happened. I went down and grabbed my loco and placed it on the board. I cannot say how much motivation this gave me. I NEEDED to see that. Below are some photos I snapped real fast with my cell.

The plan. Now, the trackwork is proabably not going to look like this. The benchwork, however, is a given due to other uses of the room at times.

layout.png

The overall view from where the top left of the track plan will be.

IMG00285.png

The fixtures

IMG00287.png

Layout mock-up

IMG00286.png

Standing very close. Good lighting and No shadows!

IMG00290.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Looks really good. Is that like almost an attic type area in your house? What are the dimensions of your space?

Get laying some track already!! LOL

Thanks! Only problem is, with construction wrapping up, I'll soon have to get back to the daunting task of track planning...

Attic, hmm. How hot is it going to get up there when summer comes? I'm not seeing any insulation in the roof at all.

That's because the insulation isn't there yet. Insulation typically comes after wiring. This is going to be a completely finished living space, with a separate hvac system as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a small update to say that the insulation is done! Next comes the part I really dread. DRYWALL!!! I don't have much experience with the stuff and I've heard some horror stories, but I'm gonna give it a go. What's the worst that could happen, right? :-D

DSCF3110.png

DSCF3112.png

DSCF3113.png

I like it nothing like that entire room to build a layout , or most of it . once construction starts it's amazing how small the room gets!! keep up the good work shawn (tunnel rat)

Looking good Randy!
Don't worry about drywall, it's all scribe and snap just like styrene.

Looking very nice! Drywall shouldn't be a problem .. just get the right tools .. a 6" knife for taping and then a 12" for finishing (think about it .. once the joints have been taped and sanded .. you use a 12" knife to float across that seam .. 12" per side .. that means there is a 24" .. 'fillet' ). Ha. I still need to put in a floor before I can start my layout.

Drywall shouldn't be a problem .. just get the right tools .. a 6" knife for taping and then a 12" for finishing (think about it .. once the joints have been taped and sanded .. you use a 12" knife to float across that seam .. 12" per side .. that means there is a 24" .. 'fillet' ).

Invest in a drywall square - they look like enormous t-squares. Much easier to cut a straight line with one. Also, consider using a "life tee" to hold the sheets against the ceiling - you can slap one together out of 2X4s. I assume you'll use at least two people when it comes to the ceilings. And finally, go easy on the mud - many thin coats sand better than a thick coat, at least in my experience. I still can't do a decent cornerbead though...

Hello again!

Just a little update to show where I am as of today. I have drywall up in the wife's room, which is identical to the layout room, so it'll look like this when i get to it next. This drywall is a real bear! But, do-able... I know there's no exciting layout photos yet, but this is where it all starts for some of us, right? :D

IMG00328.png

IMG00327.png

Ha. Sitting here covered with dust from sanding joint compound as I am also working on my layout room

That's a pretty good looking drywall job! I did two rooms upstairs in our old house, plus the hallway and the stairway, so I know what you're going through! The end is in sight, don't worry. Remember, this is one of those jobs that isn't an expense, it is quite literally an investment. You will get the cost back when you sell the house.
Now, to choose the colors.....

Back