Fiber Optics

NWCanuck

Tip&Ring
I am wondering if anyone has a good source or any experience with plastic fiber optics? I would like to get some for some lighting projects that I am toying with. I have access to communications grade fiber optics but would like to stay away from glass for handling reasons and safety.:D

Plastruct sells plastic fiber optics. I've used it in the past for ditch lights and it was pretty easy to work with. You can check out what's available by downloading their catalog at plastruct.com.

Ike

Hi NWCanuck,

I'm using side glow fiber optics for lighting in my passenger cars and also buildings using leds, I'm also planning on using it in my backdrop when I get the timber ready to put in place to make the backdrop I am going to use it for stars at night. This is where I bought the optics from:

http://thefiberopticstore.com/FOS-mainpage.htm

Take a look at the customer projects page and I'm sure that you will get a few ideas from that.

Thanks for the links guys this is exactly what I was looking for. For most lighting in HO scale what diameter are you guys using? I was thinking of using some fiber for some locomotive lighting but I am wondering of the bend radius inside the shell would make it impractical?

Diameter depends what you plan on using it for. I have the following diameters. .010", .020", .030", .040", .060". Those are pretty much what you will need for various projects and you don't really need the .010" - .030" if your plans only require headlights or large lights. as for bending the fiber it depends how thick it is and how much light you have behind it.

Here are some pics of what I have used fiber optics for.

Step%206%20Test%20LED.jpg

Step%207%20paint%20LED-XL.jpg

z.jpg

DSC06513-XL.jpg

Here are some pics of what I have used fiber optics for.

DSC06513-XL.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures Mark. This is exactly what I was hoping to do with these fibers. I am currently using the LEDs I got from you about a year ago with the magnet wire. My only concern is if these ever burn out or get over loaded I have to dig them out of the shell and install new ones.

View attachment 33519

For the class lights in your photo, what diameter are those fibers and are there lenses in front of them or are they just the fiber ends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the pictures Mark. This is exactly what I was hoping to do with these fibers. I am currently using the LEDs I got from you about a year ago with the magnet wire. My only concern is if these ever burn out or get over loaded I have to dig them out of the shell and install new ones.

For the class lights in your photo are there lenses in front of those fibers or are they just the fiber ends?

Its just the fiber, I cut them then thread them through the hole then heat the end with a lighter or a soldering iron carefully and it makes a lens on the end. Some pics of before and after. I recommend practicing first on some scrap pcs to get the hang of it.

Step%204%20Sand%20FO%20B-L.jpg

Step%209%20Flare%20FO%20Ends.jpg

Mark,
Great suggestions and pics of the LED/fiber.
question: How are you attaching the fiber to the LED?

to mount the fibers in the LED I drill some holes into the LED a little bigger then the fiber and glue it in using CA / super glue.

Back