Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please

Josh,

In my humble opinion...

I would hold off on the weathering. Not everyone likes 'weathered" equipments and structures. Let the buyer do it (or let the buyer contract someone to do it). If I was going to weather it, I would include a copy (color picture) of the original structure and would weather it exactly the same. That can be quite time consuming too.

Just my $0.01 Pesos :eek:

Thanks for the dimmension too.

Again, thanks for the comments :D :D

I agree with you, and i have gotten mixed reviews about weathering structures and selling them. Its not that my weathering is bad (although i would not consider myself to be an expert by any means) its just that weathering has to be something that the buyer likes, not what you like....

Currently, im doing 2 projects for a guy i sold some structures to on e-bay. Hes having me build the Walthers Champion Packing Plant and Prairie Star Milling Company and Elevator Complex. He has told me he would like them lightly weathered so thats what ill do for him. I think ill stick to the option of weathering is optional and at an additional charge of X amount of dollars for X amount of time spent weathering and just mention it in my ads for the auctions.....

Josh, THAT is a fabulous job done...the curveball I want to throw at everybody is the INTENT of the facility...as one had mentioned the size of the critter, the truth of the matter is, the magnitude of a facility that size is NOT something you would find with a meager three car spot! And that structure being only 17" for the eight silos, that's equivilant to three 40' boxcars (the 4th would be on spot next to the main building) So, you not only have to consider the size that would be taken by such a huge facility, but also the appropriate track space for a ligit number of cars to be spotted. If you can't support the spot, you shouldn't be entertaining the idea of such a huge facility! The ADM facility in Spokane WA is a great example, I just wish I had taken pics before I left the area!! Possibly somebody in this forum can provide....

This is very true indeed, the sheer size of the elevators in real life is enormous, and the size of my elevators that i have built represent rather SMALL elevators, you just have to use your imagination.... lol

I am wanting to model a Central Soya regional facility, at least a 2-module build, maybe 3, as best I can tell. There are many more silos. Can one get just the silos? Or is kitbashing my only alternative?

The number of modules would depend on the placement on the layout. If I can place it close to my yard it would be only two modules.

Bob

On both my elevators and the ADM kits, the silo structures are entirely separate from the main structure....

Again, thanks for the comments

I agree with you, and i have gotten mixed reviews about weathering structures and selling them. Its not that my weathering is bad (although i would not consider myself to be an expert by any means) its just that weathering has to be something that the buyer likes, not what you like....

Currently, im doing 2 projects for a guy i sold some structures to on e-bay. Hes having me build the Walthers Champion Packing Plant and Prairie Star Milling Company and Elevator Complex. He has told me he would like them lightly weathered so thats what ill do for him. I think ill stick to the option of weathering is optional and at an additional charge of X amount of dollars for X amount of time spent weathering and just mention it in my ads for the auctions.....

Josh, again your structure are very well done. Impressive. Well assembles and painted. They would look great on my layout if they were smaller, but you can dream right?:)

Like you said weathering is very subjective, even if you do an exact replica of the real thing. I agree that you should charge X $ for weatherign if the buyer desire to go that route.

Again well done and keep posting away your work.

G'luck on the auction.

Josh, on my previous layout (the CIOR's Dunreith District) I had an elevator just like this, that same size. The facility could have 20 cars in the "holding yard" and then another 15 on the loading track. Of course, my layout was 30'x40' double decker.
It was a neat setup and took time for the local or grain train to pull and spot it.
But it also ate up almost 16' of layout, 2 feet deep!

The new layout will use part of the elevator, but not all of it. I had thought about selling it, but not many people can use something that big (drawback).
At any rate, it is something of beauty you built!
Nice work.

Crib note idea for the Stationmaster...take a peek at the Walthers kits of either the Farmers coop elevator, or the Valley Growers Assc elevator...from there, you can choose to add either a number of Rix or Walthers silo bins to bump up the capacity.
have a look at this photo...
http://www.grainelevators.ca/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5336
You see the elevator in front is a stand alone, but the one in the background has added a silo beside the main structure. Also, you CAN buy a Walthers grain conveyor and outfit it with silos...but you miss out on some of the details necessary...like a scale for the trucks so you know how much grain has been brought in from the fields.

CIOR If it ate up that much space I should be all set for my Free-Mo Modules. All four of my 2'x4' modules make up a 2'x16'. It's going to look really nice.

Definitely needs some dirt and grime ;) The overhang of the silo tops can easily be fixed with a file and sand paper :)

I was just at the old Cargill facllity at Verdemont (Cajon Sub) yesterday to pick up the empty hoppers. Got some great weathering ideas from looking around that old place.
I was up there Friday of last week, and the whole siding was empty...:confused:

Thanks guys :D

George, im not really sure what there for, but i think Walthers left it up to the modeler to add staircase and railings and such, but i dont have any on hand, its something i would like to do with future elevators i may build and sell however, it would add quite a bit of detail...

Another idea for Stationmaster....I had to do some serious searching for this slide, couldn't remember where I had it stashed...

http://www.sover.net/~hkgkvt/Scan1190.jpg

You take a look at this elevator, another one in Eastern Washington that was built when railroads were spotting 40' boxcars...but now of course the siding has been extended to accommodate 25 hoppers...but the fact remains there are some elevators that are totally of box building...this one has one HUGE silo inbetween...so you get the idea that expansion has dictated different designs at different locations. This elevator would be quite easy to kitbash with flat sheet styrene, finishing it off the outside layer with the corragated material. AND, with exercising this idea, you can dictate the amount of business. As I had shown in the earlier post, that stand alone elevator at Winona Washington only takes a three car spot....and I think the old General Mills elevator was able to take six. So whatever your layout provides, you have the liberty, with the capability of kitbashing, to build what you have available...and then provide the RIGHT number of cars for it. Hope this helps you in your future layout plans!

Back